Closed Poll Do you use the customised firmware?

Do you use the Customised Firmware for the Humax?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am surprised how few have responded to this poll.

But thinking about it, the average user will only come here if they have a problem. Otherwise they just fit and forget the CF. Counting the CF downloads might give a better idea.

Don't let the low response make you feel nobody's using it.

For a long while I used the software and read the forums but did not register to post messages.

S thevoterequires registration I thinkthatmy explain the low response

I have been using it a couple of weeks now to 'solve a problem' . I have 400Gb of content on the Freeview box which has not been played yet. I want to watch some of the recordings in my holiday flat and don't want to keep dragging a second Hummy box too and fro in hand luggage. I discovered early on that the Hummy file format on the FOX-T2 drive is scrambled (unlike the Foxsat) . My solution is to archive the content (slowly as a background task) to virtual drive space on the internal 1Tb drive. Then using an external SATA loop I added through the Hummy conditional access slot, I port the virtual drive content to an external 1Tb USB/SATA SATA drive in a caddy using the pc and the Ext2 Linux file utilities (those are great!). Then I play that through a cheap O!Play HDP-R1 media player (which reads EXT3!) to my second HDMI TV. To update content I only need to carry the portable drive. I guess this is what most are doing, but I am just starting with a lot more to learn!

My only problem is my wife now complains about the 4 icons that come up on the screen everytime she starts up the hummy. Not looked in the browser menu yet to see if that can be stopped.

Great firmware mod!

This is exactly what I want to do, but have not figured it out (even though I've owned my T2 for ages). Can I ask a few questions to get me up to where you are?
1) How do you add a SATA loop through the conditional access slot - I didn't even konw there was a 'conditional access slot'. Is this just as simple as pluging in a cable (and adapter) or is it very technical?
2) How do you archive content and then port the content to the external drive
3) Once you've got the content on an external dirve, am I right in saying you could watch it on a laptop instead of using a media player? Also, would a WD live work as a media player for ext3?
I'm really love some 'idiot-proof' steps to get me to where you are. If you are able to help, then loads of thanks and good wishes!

You need to understand how the files on the Humax are encrypted, have a look the WiKi Notes HERE, the aim is to reach a box at the bottom of the flow chart. There are much easier ways of getting files off the Humax than fitting a SATA connector, you can FTP them via the LAN connector. Files that have a DEC symbol against them can be FTPed onto a laptop and then played or transferred to a WD live where they will also play

I don't foresee many people wanting to retro-fit a SATA port when you can simply plug in a USB drive, and there is no need to install the virtual drive package (which creates a simulated USB drive on the internal drive) and copy to it and then copy from the virtual drive to the external drive afterwards when you could do the copy directly to the USB drive in the first place. If you wish to transport files great than 4GB the Humax will format a USB drive to Ext3.

For simple tasks like this (except perhaps if you insist on recording in HiDef) there is no need to use the custom firmware at all. The links below provide chapter and verse.

Things Every... section 5

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-fox-t2-recordings-with-plex-media-server.2003/#post-25775

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/how-to-download-humax-files-to-pc-decrypted.436/

I believe I am the only person to vote No to the Poll question. I suspect that's because unless you view all the threads you are unlikely to come across this topicm particularly if you do not use the Customised Software.

It's like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas, except the answer would be No rather than Yes.

Can the Poll be moved to a more prominent and unbiased position?

Martin

There was a period when, like Martin, I would have answered NO.
I suspect that we belong to a small percentage of the users who will look at fora of something they might use to see what problems are being reported - definitely pessimists (or should that be realists)

Riddle-me-ree: what is the difference between tolerating known permanent inconveniencies and tolerating minor temporary defects in solutions to those inconveniences?

Shift two keys to the left. One person's inconvenience is another person's ginnel. Or should that be the other way round?

There has to be an over-riding and urgent need.

Martin

Do we need a poll to vote on whether polls need their own forum section? :D
We do, but the problem is that if we poll in this section about it, the poll will be rendered invalid by the group who think it needs its own section and if we poll in its own section then, well, vice-versa. I think Russell had something to say about self-referential sets...

I don't foresee many people wanting to retro-fit a SATA port when you can simply plug in a USB drive, and there is no need to install the virtual drive package (which creates a simulated USB drive on the internal drive) and copy to it and then copy from the virtual drive to the external drive afterwards when you could do the copy directly to the USB drive in the first place. If you wish to transport files great than 4GB the Humax will format a USB drive to Ext3.

For simple tasks like this (except perhaps if you insist on recording in HiDef) there is no need to use the custom firmware at all. The links below provide chapter and verse.

Things Every... section 5

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-fox-t2-recordings-with-plex-media-server.2003/#post-25775

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/how-to-download-humax-files-to-pc-decrypted.436/

Thanks - I've done it as you said and it worked fine. It takes a long time to transfer just 10 GB via USB (my test), and I need to transfer about 400 GB, but I guess I can just leave the machine to get on with over night... Actually, this has solved a problem that was bugging me for a while, and although the thread was already there (as you pointed out), I didn't even manage to figure out what I was looking for. I wanted to take progammes with me to watch abroad, but it never occured to me that an old WD live box togther with an external USB hard drive (both of which I already had lying around) was the answer. It was only becuase I was interested in the poll and reading about how others use the CF that I realised I could go that way. My problem is solved now, so very happy and very grateful to all the posts, particularly Black Hole who answers so nicely even though I sometimes ask questions that have answers up already. THANKS AGAIN!

I am well used to people not being able to find the information, and plenty who don't look in the first place. My contribution is to create (or organise existing) information wherever it happens to be and in as readable a way as possible, and then direct enquiries to it rather than keep repeating it. Held in one place only it can be updated as required.

I have been very happy using the CF, for quite a while. I bought my HDR pretty much the first day they went on sale, and iirc, I installed the CF when the box was roughly a year old. It transforms it for me. Many thanks! I worry about what would happen if the hdd died, and whether I'd be able to replace the drive... :)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

I worry about what would happen if the hdd died, and whether I'd be able to replace the drive... :)
I don't think there is any need to worry too much about that, I had to replace one of mine late last year, and it was quite straightforward.

Hats off to all involved. CF is a great facility and useful for shutting up the 'ah yes but on my SkyPlus box you can...blah blah blah' brigade! I make heavy use of the Auto facility on the Remote Scheduler,; it worked like a charm over Christmas capturing all the 'in 3D' content in the Synopsis box whilst I was away in The Lakes - the Queen's Speech in 3D, WTF? Mr. Stink was a 'diSTINKt improvement!

I still get a childish thrill from being able to access the box itself whilst abroad, thanks to a cable IP address that has stayed the same for all the time I've had the box. I use RS first to remind me when it's next due to be 'on', and then access it to check my recordings and maybe even delete a few that I've managed to see whilst away.

I can now safely say I don't miss the Toppy's MyStuff, excellent though it was!

Back