Closed Poll Do you use the modified firmware?

Do you use the modified firmware for the HD[R] T2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know the poll is closed, though wanted to add I updated to the modified firmware the same day I bought it. Once I'd established it was working out of the box I updated, it was one of the reasons I went for this model, the modified firmware was downloaded and put on a flash drive before the PVR arrived. Without the modified firmware, and this community I may have chose another model.

Just out of interest, here's a quick poll to see who is using the modified software. So far I have seen 27 downloads of mod 1.08 for the HDR and 4 for the HD.

Installed the customised firmware a few days ago, having followed the forum for months.

I would just reiterate what others have said, you do NOT need to be familiar with command line tools to use this software. If you can use a web browser you can use this software.

Even my wife has been sold on the extra functionality like cropping films, decrypting recordings so they can be natively streamed to other DLNA devices in the house, and the custom portal which gives us the ability to watch Sky anywhere in the house, as well as watch the outdoor IP security camera to ensuring our youngsters don’t get up to any mischief whilst outdoors.

A genuine heartfelt thanks to af123 and the rest of the team for what is genuinely great tech!

Have a good Christmas all.

I have just installed the custom firmware and it is fantastic. I wish I had known about this ages ago!
I am now able to stream recordings to my ipad and set recordings on it using a much better interface.
The next things I need to do are acess it remotely (which hasn't worked so far) and record from iplayer (which I haven't attempted yet).
It does seem bizarre that Humax don't have the imagination and enthusiasm that you guys have.

It does seem bizarre that Humax don't have the imagination and enthusiasm that you guys have.
Why? Humax only make money by developing and selling new machines. Where is their revenue stream for supporting old sales? As enthusiasts we do this in our spare time for nothing (one in particular).

Thank you enthusiasts! It really would stand a premium price for their plain old box when people realise its potential.

Therein lies the price difference between a Humax and a Topfield - and the difference in sales figures (and bottom-line profit).

However, there is another aspect to all this. The "official" functionality of the Humax is set by negotiation with the content providers (particularly the EPG data). Humax would not be permitted to market a device which does what we can do with it, and it is lucky for us there was a way in.

I don't have the figures, but an educated guess says Topfield sell a lot less than Humax (premium price), and the standard rules of thumb say a big volume with a small profit margin makes a better gross than a small volume with a large profit margin.

Sales fall off dramatically with cost, even for a premium product, because the mass market goes for something it perceives as "good enough" at the lowest possible price. Only enthusiasts perceive the additional value of the premium product - which will have a much higher cost because manufacture will not have the same economy of scale and there are fewer units to amortise the development cost across.

Our customisation of a mass-market product is best of both worlds.

Fantastic - I'm glad someone else is using that bit : )

You can add me to your list as well

I'm not using a Foscam, but a similar looking one by Storage Options - the model is the SON-IPC1 and is only £47.98 at the moment at scan.co.uk

I was pleasantly surprised that the arrow buttons on the remote control can also control the movement of the camera

I use it to monitor what my new puppy is doing during the day in the kitchen while I'm at work - as it has a built in microphone and speaker, I can say 'bad dog' when she starts chewing the cabinet doors and she scuttles back to her bed - fantastic

Perhaps a list of compatible IP Cameras can be added to the Wiki pages

Thanks Ezra

I did try to search the Wiki, but was obviously looking in the wrong place

You may want to add that with my IP Camera the arrow buttons allow the remote to control the pan left/right/up/down functions - it does respond slowly though

You may want to add that with my IP Camera the arrow buttons allow the remote to control the pan left/right/up/down functions - it does respond slowly though

Now added to the WiKi
BTW
Could you confirm whether the pan, up-down etc. can be done from the Web-If or some other method

Back