Does Factory reset wipe the HDD (fixing "Channel Scrambled or Unavailable")

MarkV

I can't believe it would, but the manual is quite clear:
"WARNING: This will delete any preferences,
recordings and settings which can not be undone."

I would expect to lose recording /schedules/, but "recordings" seems clear enough.
...hence haven't risked even selecting the option.

We seeing "Channel Scrambled or Unavailable" on every channel (been like that for a few days now).
Also, both Auto-tuning and manual tuning options are currently greyed-out in the menu, and so unavailable.
Seems no choice but Factory Reset, but don't want to lose recordings.

both Auto-tuning and manual tuning options are currently greyed-out in the menu
That means it thinks it's recording or is scheduled to record imminently. Check your recording schedule.

I don't know the 4000T/5000T particularly (which do you have? – you really should be specific), but the factory reset operation on HDR-FOX offers the option to reformat the HDD. To be certain, you could disconnect the HDD before performing a factory reset.

Thanks for your reply. We have the 5000T, and the latest firmware.
The tuning options have been greyed-out every time I've checked; certainly on times when no rscheduled ecording was anywhere close - strange.

I did wonder about disconnecting the HDD before risking a reset, but wasn't sure how the box would work without it, so thought I'd ask here first.

I did wonder about disconnecting the HDD... but wasn't sure how the box would work without it
Can't speak for the 5000T, but HDR-FOX reverts to being a tuner. You need to remember that the operational software etc etc is stored in solid state memory, and the HDD is only used for recordings and time-shift. You have nothing to lose anyway.

I can't believe it would, but the manual is quite clear:
"WARNING: This will delete any preferences,
recordings and settings which can not be undone."

I would expect to lose recording /schedules/, but "recordings" seems clear enough.
...hence haven't risked even selecting the option.

We seeing "Channel Scrambled or Unavailable" on every channel (been like that for a few days now).
Also, both Auto-tuning and manual tuning options are currently greyed-out in the menu, and so unavailable.
Seems no choice but Factory Reset, but don't want to lose recordings.
On the 4000T/5000T there an option with the factory default that if you want can format the HDD at the same time. To not lose your existing recordings do not select the format option when you select the factory default.

I suspect your real problem is your aerial lead, affecting signal strength at the recorder, or you have a faulty tuner.
Another option may be trees in the signal path from the transmitter to your aerial. Now winter is coming with winds and wetness, you may find any local trees make a good attenuator for the signal.

The tuning options have been greyed-out every time I've checked; certainly on times when no rscheduled ecording was anywhere close - strange.
Try putting the box in standby, wait for the disk to stop spinning and turn the mains power off for 30s.
I did wonder about disconnecting the HDD before risking a reset, but wasn't sure how the box would work without it, so thought I'd ask here first.
You will only lose the recordings if you have the option to format the hard drive as part of the reset selected.

To not lose your existing recordings do not select the format option when you select the factory default.
Perfect - thank you so much.
I hoped that would be the case, but in light of the wording in the manual, didn't dare risk it before.

I suspect your real problem is your aerial lead, affecting signal strength at the recorder, or you have a faulty tuner.
That would seem a logical conclusion.

Although... We do have line-of-sight to the huge Crystal Palace transmitter, 2-3 miles away, and see Signal strength 100%

Try putting the box in standby, wait for the disk to stop spinning and turn the mains power off for 30s.

You will only lose the recordings if you have the option to format the hard drive as part of the reset selected.
Great suggestions - thanks.

After mains power disconect for a while, the box restarted and we found the tuning options had reappeared (so quickly retuned). I suspect the power cycle may have actually fixed the scrambled/unavailable problem, making the retune unnecessary, but didn't want to wait and find I was wrong.

If/when it recurs, will try the power cycle first, but now know I can factory reset if needed.

Think I'll refresh the firmware at the weekend - had to do that regularly with the Fox-T2 to cure UI ultra-slowness.

Many thanks for all the helpful repplies from so many helpful people.

We do have line-of-sight to the huge Crystal Palace transmitter, 2-3 miles away, and see Signal strength 100%
The signal strength may be overwhelming the tuners. The meter only goes up to 100. When it states 100, it could be any number from 100 to a lot more.

What does it read now that it is working again, and what is the accompanying quality reading?

The signal strength may be overwhelming the tuners. The meter only goes up to 100. When it states 100, it could be any number from 100 to a lot more.

What does it read now that it is working again, and what is the accompanying quality reading?
Apart from this one-off problem with 'scrambled' channels, the box has worked flawlessly for years, as did it's 2 Humax predecessors. So I don't think there a problem with excessive signal strength.

Will report SS and SQ but I won't be near the unit again until next week.

Back