Does ffmpeg offer AAC decoding and PCM output to receiver?

The codecs used by the Humax are built-in to the Hardware, although it would be theoretically possible to add software players to the Humax, this hasn't been done so-far and would require a faster CPU than the one on board. So it is very unlikely that any new playable file types will be added to the Humax. I'm not sure why the 'playlist' for the Humax should be smaller for files that are streamed than files that are resident on the hard disk though

Dooferdog, be aware i am not an expert on the different file formats so you may be way ahead of me.
Just a couple of ideas:
- have you tried using the optical link between the two devices. Assuming your receiver supports it and you have an optical cable?
- have you checked the settings on the receiver itself?
- does the receiver literature say whether it handles AAC multichannel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Re optical - I have cable and can give it a go.
Have checked all receiver settings and cannot force it to receive anything other thanwhat ut is being sent ie 2 cha
nnelPCM

Yamaha rxv773 decoding spec as
Compatible Decoding Formats
• Decoding Format
- Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus
- Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX
- DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS Express
- DTS, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
- DTS Digital Surround

And also, back to part of my original post, can. Ffmpeg not help here ?
This from wikipedias aac page
FFmpeg

FFmpeg's libavcodec library contains free software codecs for both encoding and decoding AAC (encoding is experimental). See also here for a list of other encoder/decoder libraries available.

back to part of my original post, can. Ffmpeg not help here ?.
Ffmpeg running on a P.C. can do a lot of video/audio conversion tricks, but anything other than very simple extraction (rather than conversion) can't be carried out on the Humax while it is also working as a tuner, due to a lack of CPU Umph. It would have to do the more challenging stuff overnight so as to not disrupt TV viewing

Hmmm food for thought. I shall continue to experiment as time permits and report back if I make progress.

Thanks all.

The codecs used by the Humax are built-in to the Hardware, although it would be theoretically possible to add software players to the Humax, this hasn't been done so-far and would require a faster CPU than the one on board. So it is very unlikely that any new playable file types will be added to the Humax. I'm not sure why the 'playlist' for the Humax should be smaller for files that are streamed than files that are resident on the hard disk though

Hi Ezra

I've had a bit of time to investigate further and I too can get MKV's to play on the humax when I FTP the file across to the HDD first. This outputs the 5.1 AC3 too.

A great solution for me therefore would be to be able to get 5.1 sound from a streamed MKV rather than it having to be on the HDD. Surely if the Humax can play an MKV then it would be ossible to add MKV to the list of streamed file types in the CF? Is there any realistic chance this could get developed please?? Is there anything special I would have to do to request this (Dev thread?). Thanks D

Not very likely, but you could mount the remote drive and play the file as if it were local, rather than trying to stream it by DLNA. If you have the file in question on a Windows PC, with network-shares-automount you can set up a virtual USB drive (accessible on the Humax in the Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB list). Other options are available for other network servers.

For details see HERE (click). Note there has to be a real USB drive plugged in to get the Humax standard firmware to "see" the virtual USB drive and add it to the media list, or have virtual-disk2 installed (which has the unhappy side-effect of popping up the USB menu at start-up).

Hi Ezra
Surely if the Humax can play an MKV then it would be possible to add MKV to the list of streamed file types in the CF? Is there any realistic chance this could get developed please??
I take your point that the Humax must be capable of playing a buffered MKV (with DD5.1) stream if it can handle the same file when it is on it's hard disk, however, the Custom Firmware does not alter the core Humaxtv program that is running, so it is very unlikely that the CF will be able to change this

Back