Does hardware version make any difference?

Hi all

I'm contemplating getting a second Hummy for my bedroom and have been looking on ebay for a bargain. A lot of the time it's not possible to tell (without asking for photos) which version is being sold (ie horizontal or vertical tuners). It's been a while since I read much about the different version and I just wanted to quickly ask if it makes much of a difference really?

If you are talking CF compatibility, then No. Later updates to the CF allow for either type.

It doesn't really matter, there are pros and cons but I'm not sure how many of each or which one I would go for given the choice.

Horizontal:

PSU provides 12V & 5V;
Older tuners;
Can run any software version;

Vertical:

12V-only PSU (more cheap capacitors on MB);
New tuners;
Version 1.03.xx only.

No idea what the difference between the two tuner types really is - both types feed into the same Sony CXD2820R chips.

No idea what the difference between the two tuner types really is - both types feed into the same Sony CXD2820R chips.
Are the vertical tuners in the HDR-FOX T2 the same as the tuners in the HDR-2000T?

My signal is on the week side and the horizontal tuners of my HDR-FOX T2s cope noticeably better then either of the HDR-2000Ts I used to own. Or could that be due to possibly different chips and therefore is irrelevant for this discussion?

It doesn't really matter, there are pros and cons
Also what are the pros of the vertical?

Are the vertical tuners in the HDR-FOX T2 the same as the tuners in the HDR-2000T?
I have wondered that as well.
Also what are the pros of the vertical?
My recollection is that the only reason that Humax changed the tuners on the HDR-FOX T2 was that the original design was no longer available.

My recollection is that the only reason that Humax changed the tuners on the HDR-FOX T2 was that the original design was no longer available.
I suppose there is no way of knowing if the new ones are better than the old, but at least they can probably be replaced if a fault develops!

Back