Does not like my Sony TV (no sound), alternatives?

HumaxAgain

Newly arrived HDR-Fox T2. I have the no sound via HDMI on switch on from standby issue. Requires a power cycle on the Hummy. Reading through the other posts on this same issue (seems to affect especially Sony KDR series TV which is what I have), there seems to be no fix.

So what is the next best alternative HD PVR out there?

I would keep the Humax, and change the Sony TV for something more compliant. I don't think that you will find another HD PVR that is anywhere near as good as the Humax.

Is your HDR-FOX on the latest firmware (Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information >> Software Version = 1.02.29)? If not it might help.

My HD-FOX / Vivitek Qumi setup used to give intermittent sound requiring a reboot of the HD-FOX, and at the time rebooting the HD-FOX was a hit-and-miss affair (now eliminated by firmware updates). I don't know whether the sound problem is still present because I re-routed the sound by taking it from the HD-FOX phono outputs.

It might be possible to set up the TV to take a sound input separate from the HDMI (if so you will need to adjust the lag: Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio >> Lip-Sync), or have a separate amp/speaker arrangement with the TV sound off, or alternatively use a home cinema sound set-up fed by the optical output.

Or change the TV.

Hehe I thought a post like Brian's would turn up, I appreciate the loyalty!
Replacing our very satisfactory Sony TV would not get past the missus, anyway it offers a perfect balance of picture + sound in a tight alcove and has an HD sat tuner built in that we use a lot.

Last time I tried HDMI with my ancient DVD player, it operated perfectly and even switches the input on the Sony automatically.

I still have the old SD Hummy (enormously satisfactory) and will hold onto it till this is sorted.

Thanks Black Hole I am on .27 will move to .29 via a USB stick.

Hehe I thought a post like Brian's would turn up, I appreciate the loyalty!
I am Not loyal! but having owned other makes of HD PVR, and reading about the rest, I have come to the conclusion that the Humax boxes seem to be about the best available at the moment.:)

Try turning off Dolby Digital output in the HDR TV setup menu.

Better still get a seperate sound system, the audio is pretty dire from all lcd/plasma TV's (No space for decent speakers)

I have but one mantra nowadays - box + wiring reduction and simplicity. This will be until such time as I move into a bespoke castle where I can set up proper AV!

in the Hummy settings there are 2 options - Stereo and Surround. Issue is with both. No Dolby options anywhere I can see.

Yes I know this HDR T2 is the best one that is a given and why I ordered one. But if this issue cannot be sorted without clumsy workarounds, I'll be choosing something from this list:
http://www.techradar.com/news/video...orders-in-the-uk-718241/page:2#articleContent

Or, if these products are all too much of a compromise, it's back to Hummy SD PVR until such time as the right product appears or current ones are debugged.

Also considered the Hummy Youview but there seem to be too many issues with the GUI and ads cannot be skipped on a preset jump-forward time as I understand.

I will trial a bit longer with Stereo set, in case I'm imagining things.
Yes I knew a factory rest was coming (though this should have been done before it was shipped I guess).
And as there is some confirmation that .29 firmware helps I'll move to that before the reset.

I will trial a bit longer with Stereo set, in case I'm imagining things.
Yes I knew a factory rest was coming (though this should have been done before it was shipped I guess).
And as there is some confirmation that .29 firmware helps I'll move to that before the reset.

A reset to factory defaults is a menu option on your box, you can do it anytime you want.

Ok so now tried factory reset after upgrading to latest .29 firmware.

Even after an hour in standby it comes back on with no sound. 2 or 3 on-offs with the remote fixes it sometimes, when not, a power cycle in the Hummy is needed.

Have to call Humax to decide what to do.

Ok so now tried factory reset after upgrading to latest .29 firmware.

Even after an hour in standby it comes back on with no sound. 2 or 3 on-offs with the remote fixes it sometimes, when not, a power cycle in the Hummy is needed.

Have to call Humax to decide what to do.

It sounds like a faulty box. Unlikely to be related to your TV.

I can confirm that I also have exactly this problem. Every so often when waking the Humax from standby there's no sound. The only cure I've found is to cycle the mains on the Humax using the switch at the back. And yes, it's a Sony TV.

I don't think this is a faulty box per se, rather, it looks like some subtle compabitility issue between the Sony TV and the Humax PVR. Each manufacturer will blame the other, so I don't believe we'll ever see a fix, unfortunately.

This is why my Hummy went back, replaced with a Tvonics. Humax support did not give a good impression so it was refund rather than try a replacement box from them.

Back