Does the EPG work on HD Fox T2 boxes?

What made anyone think this is about the WebIF EPG?
Well, let's see... perhaps it's that ol' error message quoted in bold that rather gives the game away doncha think?

"No cached EPG data, try again later (no such table: epg.epg)."

I challenge you to find that on the Humax UI.

Perhaps a mod. could move this thread?

Well, let's see... perhaps it's that ol' error message quoted in bold that rather gives the game away doncha think?

Having never seen that error, I had no idea where it could appear. I'm not psychic, Humax could display that as text on the TV screen if they wanted to.

The original question said nothing about WebIF or CF, and was posted in the non CF forum. It is perfectly reasonable therefore to assume the original poster meant the Humax EPG.

Perhaps you could have taken more notice of the 16 messages prior to yours in the thread then, which made it obvious.
New members often put things in the wrong place.

Perhaps you could have taken more notice of the 16 messages prior to yours in the thread then, which made it obvious.
New members often put things in the wrong place.

The 16 prior messages to mine in the thread did not make it at all obvious, they simply talk about what USB sticks work in the HD Fox T2. I was trying to work out why the Humax EPG would not work unless a hard disc or USB stick was connected to the HD Fox T2. The Humax software caches the EPG on the HDR Fox T2 hard disc, so I thought maybe it did the same on the HD Fox T2. What I couldn't understand is why the EPG worked for my parents, so I posted.

I do understand what you are saying, and the topic is definitely in the wrong place to add to the confusion, but really if the EPG didn't work as standard on a HD-FOX there would have been no end of complaints and we would be all over it with Humax.

The actual issue is that unless the HD-FOX is fitted with a hard drive, it doesn't do quite the same thing as an HDR-FOX and the CF has not been tweaked to deal with it (if it is possible at all).

All things considered, this is a case of jumping in with both feet.

Actually without a hard disc I find the EPG on the HD Fox T2 totally pointless. It's a box for watching live channels, and the list of channel numbers/names on the List button is sufficient for that. The EPG is only of use once there is a hard disc for recording things. So my thinking was that maybe for some people the Humax EPG doesn't work without a hard disc. The mystery for me was why it is working on my parents box.

And I read this thread several times trying to understand it, across several days. I did not jump in with both feet. A single mention of WebIF would have told me what this is actually about.

No, I'm talking about the EPG, the bog standard one in the Humax UI as shown on the TV. This is the original question on this thread:

"Does the EPG work on the HD Fox T2 boxes, or is it just the HDR?"

which seems obviously to apply to the standard EPG. No mention of WebIF or custom firmware in that question.

Also this thread is in the HD Fox T2 forum and not the customised firmware section, which is another reason to assume this has nothing to do with custom firmware.

What confuses me is why you think a Freeview-HD box wouldn't have the Freeview epg. No issue with the epg on my HD FOX T2 nor with recording to a usb disk with reservations made via the epg.

Actually without a hard disc I find the EPG on the HD Fox T2 totally pointless. It's a box for watching live channels, and the list of channel numbers/names on the List button is sufficient for that. The EPG is only of use once there is a hard disc for recording things. So my thinking was that maybe for some people the Humax EPG doesn't work without a hard disc. The mystery for me was why it is working on my parents box.

And I read this thread several times trying to understand it, across several days. I did not jump in with both feet. A single mention of WebIF would have told me what this is actually about.

There's every point, the epg can still be used to create a watch reservation without a hard disk connected. Without it how would you know what was on each channel on any day let alone what programmes you can currently watch on any of the channels ?

Can you imagine anyone using a Freeview TV without a epg ?

There's every point, the epg can still be used to create a watch reservation without a hard disk connected. Without it how would you know what was on each channel on any day let alone what programmes you can currently watch on any of the channels ?

I use the Radio Times to check what is on each day. I find the amount of information the EPG shows is very limited and of minimal help to me choosing what to record or watch. If I didn't have the Radio Times I would check online to see what is on. Once I've checked what I want to record, I then use the EPG to set the recordings which is the only thing I use the EPG for. I am amazed that anyone can use the EPG to plan what they want to watch.

The early Freeview STBs had only Now and Next and people at the time didn't claim they were unusable. Analogue TVs had no EPG at all but people still somehow managed to watch them.

EDIT: I forgot about Reservations (reminders), because I've never found them useful.

What confuses me is why you think a Freeview-HD box wouldn't have the Freeview epg. No issue with the epg on my HD FOX T2 nor with recording to a usb disk with reservations made via the epg.

My parents used to use a Nokia 221T set top box. That had only Now and Next, no EPG in sight.

I use the Radio Times to check what is on each day. I find the amount of information the EPG shows is very limited and of minimal help to me choosing what to record or watch. If I didn't have the Radio Times I would check online to see what is on. Once I've checked what I want to record, I then use the EPG to set the recordings which is the only thing I use the EPG for. I am amazed that anyone can use the EPG to plan what they want to watch.

The early Freeview STBs had only Now and Next and people at the time didn't claim they were unusable. Analogue TVs had no EPG at all but people still somehow managed to watch them.

EDIT: I forgot about Reservations (reminders), because I've never found them useful.

Analogue TV's had a max of 5 or 6 channels, digital TV's have hundreds. The epg has the capability to search for content of varying genres and for a specific programme. As the box in question was Freeview pvr ready with full series and accurate recording it would have been useless without a epg and could not be described as Freeview.

No one would have bought one without the epg. The boxes you refer to weren't really Freeview boxes at all, just generic DVB-T boxes or very early ones when there was just two digital mux. The Freeview+ logo guarantees at least a 8 day proprietary epg just like a Freesat logo guarantees the freesat epg. Freesat is a epg service for fta broadcasters.

Yes, I was definitely on about the custom firmware and WebIF.

I just wanted the EPG database, I don't want to record, playback, pause, or anything else. But it's never worked.

And seeing I don't want to do any of the HDR stuff, I don't particularly want to get a larger USB stick just to see what's on now and next!

To put things in context. I want to integrate my Humax into my building management software and pulling other stuff like favourites etc out of database is easy. But I'd quite like to use some of the features of the EPG database as well from within my software. But it doesn't exist and all I get is that initial error message.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.fw.png
    Untitled-1.fw.png
    325.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
No, I'm talking about the EPG, the bog standard one in the Humax UI as shown on the TV. This is the original question on this thread:

"Does the EPG work on the HD Fox T2 boxes, or is it just the HDR?"

which seems obviously to apply to the standard EPG. No mention of WebIF or custom firmware in that question.

Also this thread is in the HD Fox T2 forum and not the customised firmware section, which is another reason to assume this has nothing to do with custom firmware.

Apologies Owen, I didn't make it clear that it was the custom firmware EPG I was talking about.

Most of us understood that from the context, even if you did post in the wrong place. I may even have asked the mods to move it, I can't remember now - I usually do.

I just wanted the EPG database, I don't want to record, playback, pause, or anything else. But it's never worked.
Because your disk isn't big enough. You were told this in post #2 and post #4.
I don't particularly want to get a larger USB stick just to see what's on now and next!
Do the other thing then.

Just as a matter of interest, and for future reference where should I have posted this if not in HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware ?
That's the point. You may have done, but if you did the moderators thought it was about the vanilla HD-FOX and moved it. When OS spotted it, the topic was in the vanilla HD-FOX section (whether you posted it there or not), and not being sufficiently familiar with the customised firmware he didn't realise what you were talking about. It has now been moved to the CF section (again, or for the first time).

That's the point. You may have done, but if you did the moderators thought it was about the vanilla HD-FOX and moved it. When OS spotted it, the topic was in the vanilla HD-FOX section (whether you posted it there or not), and not being sufficiently familiar with the customised firmware he didn't realise what you were talking about. It has now been moved to the CF section (again, or for the first time).

Ah I see, Thanks :)

Back