Dongle question

Terry 222

I have a Humax HDR_1003s and a Humax dongle that I would like to connect via the mobile hotspot on my Android phone. The dongle recognizes my phone but after putting in the password it can not connect. Also the phone does not find the dongle.
This set up is in my caravan which is why I want to use the mobile hotspot if possible. Is it possible??
Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks
Terry

Also the phone does not find the dongle.
The phone has no means to find the dongle until the dongle has been programmed (via the Humax settings) to log onto the phone's hotspot.

Bearing in mind I am not familiar with the 1003s, what you are doing should be possible - I use a similar setup to maintain a friend's HDR-FOX (no home Internet). It strikes me that the dongle you are using may not be compatible with your 1003s - can you post details? I take it you have proven the phone by using the hotspot with other devices? It is also possible you have not entered the password correctly - the Humax menus are notoriously difficult.

You need to ensure you are getting a module data connection at the caravan (this doesn't have a direct bearing on this particular problem, but will be a show-stopper ultimately).

There are alternatives to using the dongle, if you are willing to make further investment.

Hi Black Hole, thanks for the reply; the dongle is a Humax 150N. This dongle is supposed to be compatible according to my research and the mobile hotspot works fine with my tablet.
The dongle shows that my phone's hotspot is available and it allows me to put in the security code but that is as far as it goes.
What alternatives are there?
Thanks
Terry

You can get a small box that connects to the Ethernet socket and draws power from the USB socket (or a separate wall PSU), which connects to a WiFi network and then feeds network traffic to the Ethernet. Programming it requires connecting the box to a computer's Ethernet socket and accessing a control panel using a web browser - this is best prepared beforehand.

Once programmed to connect to your hotspot, it is ready to bridge your hotspot to anything with an Ethernet socket, any time you might need it.

My preferred box is a TP-Link TL-WR702n, I have several of them programmed for different purposes (they don't only bridge a WiFi hotspot to Ethernet), snapped up when on offer. There are cheaper options out there - search "wifi to ethernet adapter" (in speech marks to treat it as a phrase).

Thanks again, I have ordered one from fleabay and will see how it goes. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for all of your help.
Terry

Back