Download audio only .ts recordings

LDW

I have looked, but not found the answer to this. Sorry if it appears somewhere obvious and I've overlooked it.

I have recorded some radio programmes onto the HDR, and they appear nicely in the media list as .ts files. They won't play direct from the HDR (VLC Player). They seem to decrypt OK and download OK, but the resultant .ts files won't play. I can extract audio, but the resultant mp3 doesn't play.

Is there any specific advice for handling audio only files on the HDR?

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

I just checked a few radio programs I converted the mp3 and they play, but have no audio. Unfortunately I have deleted the .ts files, but I will record something to test with, and post the result.

I have recorded some radio programmes onto the HDR, and they appear nicely in the media list as .ts files. They won't play

There are a few things to check, the files on the Humax Hard disk are encrypted, they should be decrypted when streamed from the Humax, IF the DNLA server is running. Files that have had 'Extract to MP3' run on them will be in the format called MP3 layer 7 (MP2) , this type of MP3 is sometimes not playable on MP3 players because they are designed to play the more common layer 2 (MP3). However VLC will play both MP3 layers 7 and 2. I would help if you try using files that have had Web-If >> Decrypt run on them and have the DEC3.jpg icon against them in the Web-If >> Browser

I just checked an mp3 I converted with Extract Audio last August, it plays in VLC as does the .ts. I reconverted it and it still plays. I then checked a radio .ts and converted it, again no problem.

I am using FTP to copy across to PC.

As I was concerned about my radio recording, I carried out an experiment, I just recorded a 15 min program from radio 4.

.ts file:
Plays OK on Humax box.
Plays in webif once DLNA spots file
Plays OK via webif when copied via blue button to external drive (decrypted by copying process)
Does not play from Samba (ext drive) using VLC - time code changes no audio (decrypted by copying process)
Does not play from PC desktop using VLC - time code changes no audio (decrypted by copying process) copied from ext drive using Samba
Does not play from PC desktop using VLC - time code changes no audio (webif decryption in original location) copied using Samba

.mp3 file:
Play not an option in webif
Plays on Humax if moved to music folder (yellow button) via webif (my old recordings also play this way too, I just discovered:) ).
Does not play from Samba using VLC - time code changes no audio (decrypted by copying process & audio extracted)
Does not play from PC desktop using VLC - time code changes no audio (decrypted by copying process & audio extracted) Samba copy
Does not play from PC desktop using VLC - time code changes no audio (webif decryption in original location) Samba copy

I am not sure conclusion to draw. Perhaps it is the player?

When playing a .ts file of a radio recording on the Humax box, has it always shown the music symbol on screen?

(I am using latest firmware, CF and Webif versions)

When playing a .ts file of a radio recording on the Humax box, has it always shown the music symbol on screen?
Yes, then it goes to screensaver.

I don't know what to say about the rest - I can't test playing a samba mount from the PC because (by sheer bloody-mindedness) the HDR is not appearing in my network devices today. It has at other times, but I don't normally try to play an mp3. Have you actually tried transferring the file to the PC to play locally? It works for me (by FTP, and you can start VLC before the transfer is complete).

Are you sure the source material has been decrypted?

Have you actually tried transferring the file to the PC to play locally?

I used samba to move the files to my desktop. I will try a memory stick tomorrow, but I expect the same result.

Are you sure the source material has been decrypted?

My understanding is that moving via the blue button to a usb drive decrypts SD files as they copy. The latest webif won't extract audio unless decrypted. I also did a maunal decrypt from the original recoring on the internal drive. So I don't think that is the issue. Webif also shows then as "Dec"

My VLC updated the other day when I opened it. The version I have is VLC media player 2.0.5 Twoflower. I have just the default settings.

Does webif use the locally installed VLC to play files?

It does, but in-browser it is the browser extension rather than a full VLC.

I don't understand "moving via the blue button". It's the red button which initiates a copy (or a move), and if it's a move rather than a copy it will not be decrypted in the process:

Media >> (navigate to file) >> OPT+ >> Move/Copy >> (navigate to folder on USB) >> Copy (red)

The new version of VLC is cause of my problems.

Default setting on installation seems to be volume muted. Clicked "wedge" in bottom right of screen and it came alive. This volume control is independent of computer master volume control.

Feel slightly foolish now, but I learnt some stuff along the way.

I don't understand "moving via the blue button". It's the red button which initiates a copy (or a move), and if it's a move rather than a copy it will not be decrypted in the process:

Media >> (navigate to file) >> OPT+ >> Move/Copy >> (navigate to folder on USB) >> Copy (red)

Quite right BH. I was thinking of a discussion on another thread where another member was explaining to me the difference between accessing mvdisks mounted disks by the traditional method, media >> blue button, and accessing via the mount, under the video file.

Of course when using move/copy the process is slightly difference. I should have been clearer about what I meant.

Files that have had 'Extract to MP3' run on them will be in the format called MP3 layer 7 (MP2) , this type of MP3 is sometimes not playable on MP3 players because they are designed to play the more common layer 2 (MP3)

Thanks EP. Just tried playing the files in itunes, but it doesn't like the format. Now need to find an audio converter so that I can put them on my iPod.

4ndy : Now need to find an audio converter so that I can put them on my iPod

ffmpeg will convert them for you, if you start with the *.TS file from the Humax, do this :-
Code:
ffmpeg -i input.ts -vn -ar 44100 -ac 2 -ab 192000 -f mp3 out.mp3
But don't expect the Humax to do it, because takes too much CPU time

I think VLC will do it too ("convert" on the menus).

Good call BH. Been running VLC for a couple of years, and ever knew it did that.

I had accidentally converted one radio program on the Humax to MPG rather than mp3. It even managed to rip an mp3 file from that!

Back