Downloading HD recordings from web interface

AJones

I've been a proud new owner of an HDR-FOX T2 for a week now and have found it to be a significant improvement on my old PVR-9200T. I've just installed the custom firmware and from what I've played around with on the web interface so far, it looks excellent. However, I'm having some trouble downloading HD recordings with it.

For SD recordings, I can select "download" and the file that downloads to my PC plays fine in both Windows Media Player and VLC and loads in DVR-Studio. Decrypting the file or not doesn't seem to make any difference.

The option to decrypt is greyed out on HD recordings with the "enc" flag still set (and I understand why). If I remove the "enc" flag using FTP and Foxy, the decrypt option then becomes available. Is there a way of manually removing the "enc" flag on a particular recording using the web interface?

Once the "enc" flag has been removed, the decrypt option becomes available on HD recordings, but doesn't seem to work. The decrypted recording won't play on the Humax (I get a blank screen and the message "The channel is scrambled or not available"). If downloaded to the PC, the file won't open in Windows Media Player, VLC or DVR-Studio HD - all report it is either encrypted or uses an unrecognised codec. The original recording copied to USB from the Humax works fine in all three.

Any advice for a newbie? Am I doing something wrong, or missing an optional component? Thanks in advance.

Custom firmware 1.02.32 mod 2.15
Firefox 18.0.1
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

You need to install "auto-unprotect" package in custom firmware. This will remove the enc flag and make the recording available to DLNA and available for decryption.
I.e. it does what foxxy does AND MORE.

You cannot just FTP a file across to the PC and expect it to run without first unencrypting it.
Though there are a number of ways of achieving decryption which are already covered extensively elsewhere in this forum. And in the wiki (http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Main_Page).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This seems to be coming up a lot as more people come over to the custom side without getting into the groove.

The ENC flag means the recording is protected from decryption during copy to USB. Removing the ENC flag does not decrypt the recording, nor does it mean the recording will be decrypted with the WebIF OPT+ download option.

Unfortunately there is another protection mechanism for downloads, and Foxy does not clear it. Only the auto-unprotect package does that.

There is a full description (as an alternative to the Wiki) HERE (click).

Thanks, I'll try the auto-unprotect package. I take it there's no way of removing the enc flag with the standard web interface then?

I've been reading up on the encryption/decryption and am aware that using FTP will not remove the encryption from the recording. I'm trying to use the download function on the web interface instead. It seems I can download SD recordings this way and they are unencrypted even if I dowonload the original file and don't use the decrypt function first, but HD recordings aren't. If I select "decrypt" on an HD recording first (after removing the enc of course), it creates a supposedly decrypted file on the Humax and backs up the original, but the decrypted copy won't play on anything, even the Humax itself.

Am I doing this right?

1) Remove the enc flag (at the moment using FTP and Foxy, will try auto-unprotect)
2) In the web interface, select Browse Media Files, click "opt+" for the recording and select "Decrypt"
3) Refresh the file view, click "opt+" for the new file that has been created and select "Download"

Edit: didn't see Black Hole's reply until after i posted that. Thanks for the clarification. I'll install auto-unprotect and try again.

Thanks for indulging a newbie. End result, following the advice here:

Installed auto-unprotect.
Recorded Africa on BBC1 HD. The enc flag was present while recording, but disappeared as soon as the recording finished.
Used the download option in the web interface to download the file to my PC (after checking for the DNLA icon).
The downloaded file was unencrypted and played fine on the PC.

Perfect!

I've also tried editing a recording through the web interface (the one feature of my old 9200T that I missed in the Fox's standard firmware) and it works really well.

I take it there's no way of removing the enc flag with the standard web interface then?
There isn't because there's no reason at all not to just install auto-unprotect and let it do its stuff automatically. The reason that is still an optional component is that there are people who use the customised firmware but don't want to circumvent the copy protection.

Foxy is for people who don't want to install the custom firmware but still want to decrypt the odd HD recording via USB copy.

If I select "decrypt" on an HD recording first (after removing the enc of course), it creates a supposedly decrypted file on the Humax and backs up the original, but the decrypted copy won't play on anything, even the Humax itself.
That's expected behaviour if you don't have auto-unprotect installed. It would be better if it failed with an informative error..

Back