Dreadful problems with remote - anyone seeing this?

It is clear that allowing a network-induced auto-retune can have undesirable consequences. Personally I always do manual retunes. Bear in mind also that some of the new channels are IPTV carriers incompatible with the HDR-FOX, and that even services which have no bad effect on some peoples HDRs have been reported to crash other's (eg RT).
Interesting. I wasn't aware there was a problem with auto retunes. Either way, I retuned both of my boxes manually.

Having cut the mains power to box 2, it's now responding to the remote as normal, without a further restore/reset.

(Although I should point out again that box 1 returned to normal operation all of a sudden on Sunday evening, until this afternoon. So no guarantee box 2 won't balls-up again.)

Last edited:
@Aaron-B

Don't forget for the IR package to work successfully, it has to use the same MODE that your current physical remote control unit is set to.
Ah, good point!

Well, box 1 (still not responsive) it is on the correct channel, and IR isn't working.
On box 2 (responsive after power-down), it was on the wrong channel ... now correct ... rebooted - and success!

So does that 'prove' it's a firmware issue with interpreting the remote commands?

In Web-If>Diagnostics, try a forced reinistall of the IR package. You could also try the fix-flash-packages diagnostic. This reinstalls CFW packages that are stored in flash memory; it might not just be the IR package that is affected. If it still fails to work, try clearing your browser cache and try it again.

Thanks. Have now also cut the power to box 1, and web IR is now working smoothly, but physical remote is still poor.

No luck with fix-flash-packages diagnostic clearing any of the real remote problem, but I guess it was unlikely to.

I guess next step is to perform a full system flush, as Black Hole recommended.

No, indeed not. But that's the only thing that's changed, the only thing linking our problems?

No - mine predated the re-tune, by some weeks. I've tried various things including a new remote and one or two "universal" solutions.
At the moment, the best remote for my Humax is my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I've just performed a (non-formatting) factory reset on my second box, and the problem remains.

Does anyone know how reliable the software remote Web-IF ir package is? I've just installed it on my first box and it's not doing anything at all. Don't know if that's any indication.

No - mine predated the re-tune, by some weeks. I've tried various things including a new remote and one or two "universal" solutions.
At the moment, the best remote for my Humax is my Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Ah! Okay, mm. Are you running CFW 3.0.0?

As of this morning, both of my boxes are only responding consistently to the Web-IF IR package, not their respective physical remotes. Will shortly be attempting the aforementioned flush, then look at possible downgrading of CFW if no luck.

Have you been told to pick the box up and try it in another room away from any interference that you might be getting in its current location whether IR or electrical. My long standing problem was sorted when I moved the box 1/2" back from the Technomate TM-7102 it sat on. Both merrily interfered with each other at the end which is when I slapped a piece of paper to filter out and IR passing between the two. Moving the HDR back that 1/2" then led to both behaving correctly. Visits to the local Technomate distributor showed that it had no problem but it did at home which is when I decided that the two were interacting. I had thought it was the plasm screen, the low energy bulb etc.

Have you been told to pick the box up and try it in another room away from any interference that you might be getting in its current location whether IR or electrical. My long standing problem was sorted when I moved the box 1/2" back from the Technomate TM-7102 it sat on. Both merrily interfered with each other at the end which is when I slapped a piece of paper to filter out and IR passing between the two. Moving the HDR back that 1/2" then led to both behaving correctly. Visits to the local Technomate distributor showed that it had no problem but it did at home which is when I decided that the two were interacting. I had thought it was the plasm screen, the low energy bulb etc.
Hadn't thought of that myself. Worth trying if I can't solve the problem any other way, but I've made no changes in my hardware arrangement since July, and this problem only began for me on Sunday afternoon, so I'd be surprised.

Log of today's experiements:
Box 1: Flushed, and physical remote become far more responsive but still prone to multiple problems. Did not test IR.
Box 2: Ditto. Physical remote also far more responsive, but still not as good as it should be. IR not working.

Now reinstalling official firmware 1.03.12...
Box 1: Remains in the improved state, but remote still not acting properly.
Box 2: Not attempting.

Firmware 1.02.32...
Box 1: Ditto. Still no further progress.
Box 2: Not attempting.

Despair grows. Going to attempt moving around other hardware then.

---

No luck with moving devices around. Not a clue what to think now. I'm still minded to rule out a hardware problem as it just seems too coincidental that both of my boxes have started behaving in exactly the same way, within just a few days of one another. Indeed, Box 2 is a newly refurbished model bought direct from Humax only about 3 weeks ago, so it doesn't seem likely it would fail in exactly the same way at exactly the same time, as the 2-year old Box 1.

Any advice, thoughts or suggestions very gratefully received.

Last edited:
Back