DTR-T2000 - strange problem with CH55 on Crystal Palace

sasquartch

I've been a long time Humax user (since the 9200 days) and currently have a D2000 PVR (YouView)
Generally OK but since the last channel re-arrangement I'm having problems with one mux
Originally Crystal Palace channels were all on Group A so my Group A aerial was, as you'd expect, fine.
However BBC4 HD moved to UHF 55 and BBC News HD to UHF 56 I think. These are the COM7 and 8 muxes
I installed an additional aerial (Group E ??) and all channels come up fine

Everything works fine except for BBC News HD and the other channels on that mux.
Signal strength is around 95% but quality varies between around 90% and 0% intermittently
Once it's at 0% the picture is fine for a bit then displays the poor signal warning.
I cannot understand what the issue is, I would have expected CH55 and 56 to experience the same problem if it was an aerial issue.
I've unplugged everything else from the TV (network cable, BluRay player etc) and no change
The only thing I can think of is my aerial distribution amplifier

Frustratingly the YouView interface is so dumbed down I cannot even be sure what UHF channels I'm tuned to (unless there's some diagnostic menu I can access) I have also failed to get it into maintenence mode as well.

Any ideas anyone ?

Everything works fine except for BBC News HD and the other channels on that mux.
Signal strength is around 95% but quality varies between around 90% and 0% intermittently
Based on my experience with a similar problem with an HDR-2000T I would say there is a good chance that the signal strength of 95% is too high and a variable attenuator in the aerial feed may help.
Once it's at 0% the picture is fine for a bit then displays the poor signal warning.
I am astonished you get any picture with a signal quality of 0%? the normal advice that anything less than a 100% quality warrants investigation.

Thanks
I'm going to try bypassing my distibution amplier at the weekend and see if that makes any difference.

All my other muxes seem to be at 95-100% signal and have no issue, it's just this one mux that has issues.

Is there any way to verify I'm tuned in to the correct UHF channels ? Cant see any menu option to do this.

If that fails, get onto Freeview. There have been several reports of peeps getting their aerial change for free in the Crystal Palace area because of the frequency change.
They will likely send someone around to check it out anyway.
But bypass the amp first to see if that fixes it.

Thanks
I'm going to try bypassing my distibution amplier at the weekend and see if that makes any difference.
Is it a variable gain distribution amplifier? If so try turning the amplification down a bit.
Is there any way to verify I'm tuned in to the correct UHF channels ? Cant see any menu option to do this.
Menu button>System>Signal detection then press the right arrow and you will be shown a list of the UHF channels you are tuned to.

Menu button>System>Signal detection then press the right arrow and you will be shown a list of the UHF channels you are tuned to.
Not on a youview.

The only way I can guarantee what I am tuned into is by selectively tuning by connecting and disconnecting the aerial as it tunes dependent on the progress bar and where I know it looks for each frequency/dvb-type.

Last time I looked it was like the HDR-2000T and had a preference for the lower frequencies for the non-PSBs unless those were really bad reception wise.

No, I have a Group A and E combined with a diplexer (think that's the right word). All done correctly. Other TVs in the house are fine

Is it a variable gain distribution amplifier? If so try turning the amplification down a bit.

The amplifier does not have any gain adjustments

I can confirm that the right arrow does nothing and it is seemingly impossible to say which UHF channel you are tuned to, This is my main frustration with the box, the fact it's all so dumbed down. Surely there could have been some sort of diagnostic page, read only, that could be displayed without it confusing the general public ?

Update

After checking the aerial cable where it plugs into the Humax I couldn't find anything wrong.
However the problem seems to have gone away, quality is 100% again on COM7
I am not convinced I've found the fault because I cannot explain how this problem affected only a single mux, all other muxes being fine
So for now all is OK
Thanks for all the replies though
It'll all become simpler once everything comes through the internet, I think once there is sufficient bandwidth for everyone it's going to be more reliable than an aerial system

Our channel 55 is a bit blocky this morning, though the signal strength isn't especially low. Weather at a guess.

I think once there is sufficient bandwidth for everyone it's going to be more reliable than an aerial system

I agree in principal, however it isn't going to happen any time soon, I'm only getting 4 mb/S from my telphone exchange 3.5 km away and when / if that problem is fixed, there would have to be ten times that figure over the entire end to end path from remote server to router for everyone in the country, that's some bandwidth ! !

It'll all become simpler once everything comes through the internet, I think once there is sufficient bandwidth for everyone it's going to be more reliable than an aerial system
Perhaps you would care to explain how it can be viable to feed every viewer individually rather than everyone all at once, or how my web browsing data will get to me when the pipe is being hogged by video traffic (which takes priority because it has timeliness requirements and somebody is paying a premium for it).

It will happen eventually
Internet capacity grows all the time
I can happily watch live TV through BBC iPlayer with no buffering. This would have been fantasy 20 years ago but is normal now
So it will happen, you can be sure of that. As the internet grows and has become a ubiquitous part of life there will come a point when maintaining an expensive set of transmitters makes no sense compared to cheap internet distribution.

Would you still be able to watch TV via the Internet if everyone was doing the same thing? No.
... not at the moment.

The numbers involved will be mind boggling, but I'm sure it will happen.
I wonder what the difference in electrical power used would be between serving by many multi-kilowatt transmitters and individual streaming by cable.

Back