Dumb hardware

• Thread starter Deleted member 473
  • Start date
Hey, just discovered that I have ARC on my TV and amp so there goes one optical cable from TV to amp, and now the HDMI out from my amp is also a TV audio in to the amp as well. Well chuffed.

Hey, just discovered that I have ARC on my TV and amp so there goes one optical cable from TV to amp, and now the HDMI out from my amp is also a TV audio in to the amp as well. Well chuffed.

Mike, up to that point were you watching TV ( at times ) using the amp and speakers without going through the Humax? I ask because I take opt output only from the Humax to the amp as I rarely watch live broadcasts. For a quick view, say news or programmes with just dialogue, I have pass through set and the TV speakers are adequate without using more electricity than necessary.

Mike, up to that point were you watching TV ( at times ) using the amp and speakers without going through the Humax? I ask because I take opt output only from the Humax to the amp as I rarely watch live broadcasts. For a quick view, say news or programmes with just dialogue, I have pass through set and the TV speakers are adequate without using more electricity than necessary.

I always use the amp and never the tv speakers. It was just that I hadn't realized that if I sent video input to the tv on its hdmi2 rather than hdmi1, and also used the tv/cd amp channel for watching the tv then the tv would pass sound back via the hdmi cable between the tv and amp, ie, it is two way even though officially hdmi out from the amp. You have to fiddle around with some settings on the amp and tv first though to get it working.

It's a neat trick.

I reckon it would be good if home entertainment devices (ie not traditionally "connected") with any networking requirement had HomePlug capability built in, then you would only need to plug them into the mains to be on the network.

Back