Duplicate webif entries in the installed packages list

martinr

There are 2 identical entries in my installed packages list for webif (notice no version number listed and Install, not Remove, on button)

webif.jpg

When I click on either of the Install buttons I get:

install.jpg

And then when I look in the Upgrades tab I see:

upgrade.jpg

And I can repeat the same process over and over. And clicking on Install on the 2.87 package in the Upgrades list just goes round the circle once more.

I imagine that the reason I can't correct this is that the daemon is running all the time I'm looking at the webUI, and I'll need to correct it from a terminal.

It's never caused any problem that I'm aware of, but it looks untidy (and embarrassing) and it's high time I fixed it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Last edited:
Your problem is due to corruption in the opkg utility status file /mnt/hd4/opt/var/opkg/status
It will, in all likelihood, contain two web interface entries instead of one.

Make a backup copy first, then edit this file in order to remove the second entry relating to a previous web interface version.
The two entries will look something like this, although they may not follow in direct succession. Note the different version numbers.

Code:
Package: webif
Version: 2.86
Depends: jim-tcl (>= 0.7.1-1), service-manager (>= 2.1), busybox (>= 1.18.4), epg (>= 1.7), hmt (>= 2.4), webif-docs, channel-icons
Provides:
Architecture: mips
Conffiles:
/opt/etc/webif.db 80c8359c96ac651a74ff6cb379081161
Installed-Time: 1414587831

Package: webif
Version: 2.87
Depends: jim-tcl (>= 0.7.1-1), service-manager (>= 2.1), busybox (>= 1.18.4), epg (>= 1.7), hmt (>= 2.4), webif-docs, channel-icons
Provides:
Architecture: mips
Conffiles:
/opt/etc/webif.db 80c8359c96ac651a74ff6cb379081161
Installed-Time: 1420227483

Your problem is due to corruption in the opkg utility status file /mnt/hd4/opt/var/opkg/status
It will, in all likelihood, contain two web interface entries instead of one.

Make a backup copy first, then edit this file in order to remove the second entry relating to a previous web interface version.

Hi again, Raydon, and sincere thanks. Not one but TWO extra webif packages listed in that file: version 1.1 and version 2.77 if I remember correctly. And now everything is as it should be.

I took the coward's way out and ran FireFTP in Firefox on Windows and edited the file with Notepad++. I realise I could have run either the Telnet service or the SSH service and used a Putty 'terminal' to do the dirty work, and tried my hand at the Linux command line. But for interest's sake, how would you have gone about editing that file?

Anyway, once again I sincerely thank you for sorting me out. Thanks too for the explicit information, including making a backup file. Another very interesting lesson. Oh, and I realise why I had the very same snag on my previous Foxsat: I swapped the hard drive from that one and put it into my present one!

Martin

I took the coward's way out and ran FireFTP in Firefox on Windows and edited the file with Notepad++. I realise I could have run either the Telnet service or the SSH service and used a Putty 'terminal' to do the dirty work, and tried my hand at the Linux command line. But for interest's sake, how would you have gone about editing that file?
More or less the same way, except I use Notepad++ as the default editor in Filezilla FTP client.

Back