Dynamic DNS Client

makem

I have entered the required information in settings, several days ago. Today I had an email from no-ip to say that I needed to dynamically update client every 30 days to prevent them from being removed from their system.

Any idea why as I thought that was the object of this. Is there a way to test it?

Check the inadyn log file via diagnostics and see if it's operating properly.

I bet there are a few people who read the above with a broad smile. In their head will be the thought, "the next question will be how!" Well, this time they are wrong because I am going to see if I can find out how without assistance :)

There should be a log in mod/tmp/inadyn.log

But there is not. That suggests it is not running properly?

Edit: I don't have a log in /tmp/modinit.log either

But I have found both in root/tmp/

inadyn.log:
W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 3)
W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 3)
W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 4)

Prior to that there is:

INADYN: Started 'INADYN version 1.96.2' - dynamic DNS updater.
I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'xxxxxxxx.no-ip.org' needs update to '92.23x.xx.xx'
I:INADYN: Alias 'xxxxxxx.no-ip.org' to IP '92.23x.xx.xx' updated successful.

So it seems to have made one update.

Made a new conf file:

username me
password ofcourse
alias meme.no-ip.org
update_period_sec 600
no-ip_system default@no-ip.com
background
log_file /tmp/inadyn.log

Resulting log:
I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'meme.no-ip.org' needs update to '92.23x.xx.xx'
I:INADYN: Alias 'meme.no-ip.org' to IP '92.23x.xx.xx' updated successful.
W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 2)

Don't understnadt the DYNDNS error as I am not using them.

FYI: the easy way to the diagnostics logs is via the WebIF, bottom of the page, diagnostics link.

Earlier this month dyndns.org informed users that the free service will cease at the end of April.

I have therefore registered with another free DDNS supplier (dnsdynamic.org).

I would like to use the humax to set the DDNS for me, as I do with dyndns. However the humax inadyn function will not accept dnsdynamic.org as a provider.

Would it be possible to add this provider? Or even make the provider field key able perhaps.

Then again it may not be that easy as I don't think dsndynamic support inadyn. They seem to use something called ddclient, whatever that is ...

I have also given up on Dyndns after this latest alteration and am looking for an alternative.

For what it is worth dyndns have had a 30 day renewal feature for quite a while now and just updating the address via tools like that in the CF is not sufficient to keep the address alive. It used to be that all you needed ti do was update your IP once a month but this was changed to require a full log in via their website (link in the monthly email provided). I would hazard a guess that no-ip are doing something similar and that's the reason I have not yet jumped onboard. I can't remember the last time I used mine anyway as the remote scheduler does the job just fine without the security implications of opening up a port.

I have now signed up to freedns.afraid.org.
Having set up inadyn on the hummy with correct id/password/hostdomain it fails to set the DDNS.
I have checked and id, password and hostname are correct.
Help!!!

The inadyn.log shows:
Code:
>>> Contents of /var/log/inadyn.log 3.83 KiB
I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'xxxxx.xxxxx.xxx' needs update to 'nn.nnn.nn.nn'
W:INADYN: Error validating DYNDNS svr answer. Check usr,pass,hostname,abuse...!
W:INADYN: DYNDNS Server response:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:44:41 GMT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Connection: close
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
X-Cache: MISS

ERROR: Invalid update URL (2)

W:'RC_DYNDNS_RSP_NOTOK' (0x48) updating the IPs. (it 0)
E: The response of DYNDNS svr was an error! Aborting.

The inadyn.conf file shows:
Code:
dyndns_system default@freedns.afraid.org
username xxxxxxxx
password xxxxxxxx
alias xxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxxx
update_period_sec 600
background
log_file /tmp/inadyn.log

"X"s used to replace sensitive bits.

Shame about that. It doesn't look like an easy one to solve. So I suspect we won't be able to support freedns.afraid on the hummy then.
Since I appear to be the only one to raise the failure, I assume that nobody else has tried using freedns then.

Be interesting to see if others will want to do so, with dyndns starting to charge!

For FreeDNS in the Hostname box on the settings page simply use:

xxx.xxxx.xxx,<user name hash>

and it should work.

I have just signed up and I set a fake IP on my FreeDNS account and then rebooted the Humax and it updated it to the correct IP.

At the moment I can't yet seem to get the sub-d0main I chose to work, maybe I need to wait a short while.

Thanks again G4DDS, I put the hash value on the end of the hostname, as advised, and it worked.
Great.

Can I request that Ezra Pound update the documentation for inadyn to say that
"For freedns.afraid.org the hostname in settings should be of the form:
xxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxxx, <user name hash>
Where <user name hash> is obtained from the freedns website, when logged on.

The simplest solution seems to be the copy-paste action from the graburl batch file offered on their website.
You can pick up this batch file by choosing wget_script. Found next to your dns on the "dynamic DNS" page.

Example: The batch file looks like this:
graburl http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?YUGIUGSEIUFGOUIHEOIFEOIHJFEIO=
The user has to copy and paste the hash value after the '?' until the end of line.
The hash will be used as additional param in --alias option. (see typical usage above)
"

EDIT: if somebody will tell me what tags to use to get rid of the URL tags I will re-edit this entry to correct it. Thanks BH I have now amended the text.

Back