EaseUS>Humax>PC

sorethumbs

Hi forum, i seem to remember Hummy.org or something similar - is this a reincarnation of that?
Anyway looking to do the mythical Humax HDR files to pc transfer and been trying to read up on it, some threads on the net are quite dated and i want to try and make sure i'm using the most up to date method (and hopefully the least difficult).
I've got a spare 120gb sata 2.5" drive and usb caddy to use, downloaded EaseUS.

So tonight i want to try and format that drive in windows using EaseUS to Ext3, plug into Humax and copy off some programmes.

Question is (if that all goes well) what steps do i need to then take to transfer the files from the drive to my main pc hard drive - if the humax Ext3 caddy drive is now in Ext3 format will windows 7 see it? I'm guessing not so what steps are needed to get them off the portable drive onto my pc?

cheers
Phil

Hi Graham
That link goes to a page i'm not sure what i'm meant to be downloading, is it the file e2fsprogs-1.42.tar ??
How do i run/install that?

Oh yep see it - lol i had already downloaded that earlier when searching about for tips on how to do this job.
So that program once installed will recognise the usb Ext3 format drive just like any normal drive in windows yes?

But do you need to format it ext3?? I thought the hummy could read fat32 ok (with a max filesize of 4GB)

But do you need to format it ext3?? I thought the hummy could read fat32 ok (with a max filesize of 4GB)

It can but writing is the problem, there's not much HD content comes in under 4GB. Same applies if you want to upload your own HD content (see AV2HDR)

EXT2FSD lists all the drives you have connected, all you have to do is run it to mount the EXT3 volume and it allocates a Windows (Dos) volume letter. Thereafter Windows Explorer works with it like any other drive.

Thanks chaps, yes i thought i better do it Ext3 in case anything was over 4gb. EaseUS was easy to use formatted drive to Ext3 quickly, did a test copying a movie from Humax. Installed that Ext2fsd on my pc, wasn't too sure how to set it up but changed some setting to allow read and write to drive and assigned a drive letter and bingo. Installed VLC player which played the movie fine. Then i tried to convert the video to avi with dvdfab, the preview was fine it had audio but the end avi was audioless and very blocky - i might test it some more tonight. I've heard about videoredo but not wanting to spend out

Then i tried to convert the video to avi with dvdfab, the preview was fine it had audio but the end avi was audioless and very blocky - i might test it some more tonight. I've heard about videoredo but not wanting to spend out

A tad baffled why do you want to convert to AVI ?. SD recordings are mpeg2 transport stream files DVD needs mpeg2 programme stream (.mpg). The conversion is simple and lossless. If you are trying to create a DVD try adding the .ts file to DVDFlick.

http://www.dvdflick.net/

If you have a HD file without encryption (recorded using non-freesat mode) and a blu-ray player you can burn up to roughly an hour to a DVD blank in HD AVCHD format and play it back in a blu-ray player.

Ah i'm not too clued up on file types mpeg/avi/mkv, containers, codecs and all that. Don't want to put on disc as we have a large collection of movies with avi extension that we store on a network hard drive that we can watch on laptop, xbox or kiss 1600 player. Guess i was just going with avi because 'its just what i know'
If there is another format i can try instead i will, just these ts files won't play on the devices i use

Ah i'm not too clued up on file types mpeg/avi/mkv, containers, codecs and all that. Don't want to put on disc as we have a large collection of movies with avi extension that we store on a network hard drive that we can watch on laptop, xbox or kiss 1600 player. Guess i was just going with avi because 'its just what i know'
If there is another format i can try instead i will, just these ts files won't play on the devices i use

The laptop should play no problem. Try Splash Lite

http://mirillis.com/en/products/splash.html

Yeah laptop isn't a problem VLC will play it i guess, xbox gets used quite a lot in front room for playing our library of stuff when nothing else is on

Well i tried 'super' and didn't really get on too well with it, then i came across a guide using AVC video converter so tried that. Excellent results and includes an edit function so can whip out the adverts and convert to avi which plays on everything we need it to - had a film that was 3gb > edited out the commercials > set running and 30 mins later had just what i wanted in a 1gb avi file.

Another question - i have a series recorded in SD which i have started to convert, when i recorded the programmes one of them was broadcast in HD, it was on ITV. Now in the file manager where i have been copying the SD files to USB the lone HD recording has a 'disc' symbol with a red 'X' in top right corner. Any idea what that means

Well i tried 'super' and didn't really get on too well with it, then i came across a guide using AVC video converter so tried that. Excellent results and includes an edit function so can whip out the adverts and convert to avi which plays on everything we need it to - had a film that was 3gb > edited out the commercials > set running and 30 mins later had just what i wanted in a 1gb avi file.

Another question - i have a series recorded in SD which i have started to convert, when i recorded the programmes one of them was broadcast in HD, it was on ITV. Now in the file manager where i have been copying the SD files to USB the lone HD recording has a 'disc' symbol with a red 'X' in top right corner. Any idea what that means

If i remember correctly the X means you can't copy it to usb. Most HD recordings only let you copy them once to usb and then you get the red cross. It might be a copy zero restricted recording. In any case the ftp version of AV2HDR can reset the copy flag in the .hmt file.

Is there a web page or something showing what that AV2HDR does. Does it allow recordings to be moved off the box like i have been doing but over a network. I might add that our HDR is really a secondary recorder up in the bedroom that gets used for 'my' stuff i want recorded (missus seems to have complete control of the sky box in living room), so we don't really need to ADD content to it, i'm more interested in using the recording capabilities to be able to take content off and be able to watch on other devices (xbox etc)

Is there a web page or something showing what that AV2HDR does. Does it allow recordings to be moved off the box like i have been doing but over a network. I might add that our HDR is really a secondary recorder up in the bedroom that gets used for 'my' stuff i want recorded (missus seems to have complete control of the sky box in living room), so we don't really need to ADD content to it, i'm more interested in using the recording capabilities to be able to take content off and be able to watch on other devices (xbox etc)

It's primary purpose is to allow non native video to imported to the hdr. It builds the two required support files .nts and .hmt. As a byproduct it can be used to edit various flags in the .hmt file including the copy restriction one.

Back