edit iplayer recorded download

mihaid

Can one edit that file because afaik you cannot set bookmarks on it and then crop it using webif.

The problem is that whereas a recorded *.ts file has a *.hmt file generated by the Humax which contains the bookmarks, a streamed / saved *.mp4 file won't have this file, you would have to rename the *.mp4 file to a *.ts file and then generate a *.hmt file for the new *.ts file (See Below). Without this *.hmt file you would have to download the *.mp4 file from the Humax and edit it on a P.C.

Note :- Raydon's AV2HDR-T2 will generate a *.hmt file for you but the *.mp4 file would have to be downloaded to Windows P.C. first (it can't be run on the Humax)

Renaming a .mp4 file to .ts doesn't make it a .ts file.
No it doesn't, but packages that only work with *.ts files are more likely to fooled into working, the *.mp4 file is already in a format that the Humax will play

I have seen a discussion about free editing software but could not find the ultimate suggestions. Say you start with a 3GB ts file, how small can you get with reasonable quality? Say 720p.

It depends what you mean by "reasonable" - but this is a different discussion from the topic title. The quality of picture you get in any particular amount of bits-per-second encoding very much depends on the encoder available to your video editor's export process. H.264 gets you a similar picture with far fewer bits than a simpler encoder, but also demands far more of the PC to produce. The type of content makes a difference too.

What you do is decide what the ultimate output is targeted for (say, a 4.7GB DVD-R), then sometimes the encoder can be told that's what you want, or you try a few output settings to see which gets you to what you want. Then if the output isn't of sufficient quality for what you want you have to think again.

Broadly speaking, you know you get about 90 minutes of video of "DVD quality" on 4.7GB, so you can take that as a benchmark.

over 2 hr file 3.8GB at 720p quality is good enough for me see below

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 12
because it has letterbox format so no point for the extra pixels.
I know we're offtopic but no one is complaining.

Back