Editing recordings on the box

I think some people would be happy to lose the ff/rwd/skip functionality for most kids TV episodes & be glad to get some disk space back. I've not had much luck being able to play back files edited on a PC using avidemux.
Try VideoReDo

Try VideoReDo

Agreed. I had a long look at what was best at editing files recorded by the Hummy (http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-t2-file-ts-editing.273/) and although it's not free for the full version, the overall ease of function, intuitive GUI, speed at processing and saving the new files made it a clear winner for me. The license fee is well worth the time it's saved me. Plus if you're only working with the kids shows (like me) then they're all in SD so you only need TVSuite and not the more expensive TVSuite H264 which is the one that does HiDef files as well.

The last time I tested VRD TVSuite, it was not able to save edited Humax .ts files (HD) in .mkv or .mp4 format. Only saving as .ts was working at that time - a few weeks ago. My evaluation copy of VRD has now expired and I am unable to retest whatever is the latest version.

Can anyone confirm whether they have succeeded in taking a high-definition file from the Hummy, editing it with VRD and saving the result as .mkv or .mp4?

My evaluation copy of VRD has now expired and I am unable to restest whatever is the latest version.

You might still be be able to evaluate - my eval copy had expired but it still let me edit files but limited the output files to only ten minutes long. (Although that was handy at the time when all I wanted to do was trim Fireman Sam episodes that were 9m50s long!! ;))

Odd. I just installed the latest beta of VRD and it gave me a new trial key and another 14 days of full use. That's the good news.

On the minus side, it still doesn't save an edited Hummy HD file in any format except .ts. Mp4 and mkv still fail to complete.

it still doesn't save an edited Hummy HD file in any format except .ts. Mp4 and mkv still fail to complete.

Hi Fenlander, I'm curious - why the keenness to save in Mp4 and mkv? I'm relatively new to video formats and stuff so are these better or smaller than ts/H264 files? I only want to convert some DVD's to a format I can store on my NAS drive, and be able to play them on the Hummy so I'm concentrating on the same format as output by the Hummy (and I get the full trick play with these files even when streaming off my NAS although it is DLNA which from what I've read, means it is fussier about file types). Are these other formats what other media players prefer? Thanks, Jonesey

I'm probably being over-fussy, but it's partly a question of tidiness and partly related to hardware. For a number of reasons, I prefer to store videos as 720p mkv files: my hardware handles them better, they take up a lot less storage than uncompressed 1080i and Matroska long ago replaced avi as the standard format in my collection. I never store anything long-term if it has adverts in it, hence my interest in VRD. Also, I'm not sure whether Humax-specific files will remain playable a few years on, whereas I'm fairly confident about mkv.

Back