Editing wiki: telnet

danco

Is anyone allowed to edit the wiki? There's a change needed and I don't know how to make it. Perhaps someone else can make it for me.

I have a problem with my Hummy (I'll post about that elsewhere) and the advice in the wiki says I need to telnet into the machine. I am using MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

However telnet has been removed in the receont versions of MacOS, so the instructions don't work.

It is possible to bring telnet back by a number of methods.

So the wiki needs to be changed to reflect this and to link to (for instance) http://osxdaily.com/2018/07/18/get-telnet-macos/

There are instructions for how to sign up for editting rights to the wikI in pinned posts at the top of this forum

These days there is less need for telnet using the webshell package instead, perhaps the wiki needs to reflect that alternative as well,

There is a Putty client for Mac OS .
I use Putty under Windows - more versatile than telnet, but includes the functionality

Thanks. I have now requested permission to edit.

It was fairly easy for me to get telnet back, as I had an old Time Machine backup. But others might not find it so easy, and it might be useful for someone to give alternative advice about using maintenance mode.

Back