ELO Concert on FOUR

I'm with Rob as I thought that the Arms was a no-go area for the posting police and just the primary patrol area for pedants.

Surely that only applies to specific topics within the 'Arms? The 'Arms section is for free discussion of anything off-topic (ie not Humax-related), but it doesn't strike me that normal standards of polite conversation apply any less than they would if we were sitting around the dinner table. The name on the door of this particular conversation is "ELO Concert on FOUR", and there is no need to drag it off topic any more than there would be if it were not in the 'Arms. That's what I think anyway, and would do even if I hadn't originated the topic.

"A gentleman is somebody who can play the harmonica, but declines to do so"

Agree with you here BH.
This is the reason why I'm considering closing my account here. Politeness and sticking to topics has gone out of the window over the last year or so on this entire forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...which is not to say a conversation cannot drift away from the original topic organically, if that is the natural course, particularly in the 'Arms - but it does make it very difficult to locate relevant information later when it is not "filed" under an appropriate topic title. There is simply no need to post if one has nothing relevant to contribute.

Agree with you here BH.
This is the reason why I'm considering closing my account here. Politeness and sticking to topics has gone out of the window over the last year or so on this entire forum.

That's a pity- I would agree with you to a point re politeness and would put the majority of it down to verbal sparring by a few members with possible inflated egos and "my knowledge is greater than yours" types. This is not to say I don't find it entertaining in a perverse sort of way.
As possibly noticed with my posts, I have limited technical knowledge and only cherry pick the forums with which I am able to glean relevant information,and I'm sure this applies to the majority.
I am usually unable to offer my two pennyworth of advice as I am not glued to the site and there are more worthies who are quicker out of the blocks.
But as the site has developed, it seems to me that the original aims and aspirations have diversified to such a point that the 'Arms is a necessity for members to blow off steam or give opinions, and so what if the thread runs a little off topic?
There is enough technical stuff in the relevant forums to weigh anyone down! But I have learnt a lot here and not just about the FOX T2 and I wouldn't want it any other way.
One thing to note when closing an account here, is that you are still able to glean relevant information without having to participate, so what do you gain by leaving?

There's no need to close an account, and if the mods did delete an account (as has happened recently) the vanishing of a potentially significant number of posts from the many topics could do irrecoverable damage to the forum. It is simple enough for a disgruntled user to just log out and not come back, or if they wanted temptation removed to have their password deleted (or do it themselves by pasting a random string into the password and confirm fields).

You could even "divorce" your account by getting the name changed, but that shouldn't be a problem because I do not regard it as advisable to use your real name or the same name as you have on other forums or social media (I am also Black Hole elsewhere, but only on another forum which deals with a similar subject).

Sorry some of you took a fence at my posts. BH is right about filing posts in appropriate threads and the good TV thread was the obvious context for this one, not that anyone is likely to want to retrieve the information again.

I am a fan of less mundane sorts of music myself and am not afraid to make that clear in polite company or otherwise.

As for Chris leaving, I think it would be sad for him and this forum if he did.

It will come around again.

And so it has, at last!

BBC4 and HD in the early hours 4/4 and 6/4. For those who missed it earlier, a chance to see a fantastic concert. I will be recording this on both channels this time as my original attempt at recording on BBC4 HD failed.

Back