EPG awful

If you click on the channel icon in the webif epg it will show everything on that channel in the next 7/8 days. I use it all the time to see what classic series ITV3 & Drama have upcoming.
See post #18;)

Clicking on the icon on my setup prompts for a channel change. Clicking the channel name gives single channel view.

Thanks for the pointers for webif, but RT and the Humax epg are what we use for scheduling.
Firing up the computer to set a recording is a bit sledgehammer, and the tablet is a bit fiddly, plus both mean a box reboot to 'engage' the setting. Using the box as 'normal' means we can see straight away that the recording is set, so we will continue as is for now.

I really only use webif for managing the various very useful CF packages we use, which for the most part just do their thing automatically in the background, and for changing destination folders for series recordings. (It would be great if the CF could be made to put the change folder feature into the normal box interface, but I know that is very unlikely.)

I find being able to set recordings from anywhere in the world actually frees me up rather than having to sit in front of the box.

The Remote Scheduler performs excellently on everything from my phone to my desktop PC, what do you find fiddly about using it on a tablet?

Our laptop always on of an evening so I can browse the EPG and schedule any items while we watch a recorded show, that way I don't annoy my better half while browsing (thumbnail video in corner of EPG)

I have the Humax set to fire up automatically for 30 minutes each night (2am) , this ensures any recordings I set are scheduled.

I could not have a PVR now that didn't allow remote scheduling.

That Topfield guide looks extravagantly bright or showy, typically so as to be tasteless, to me. I am sure there is a term for that.

I am sure some people like the look of the Sky News studio. I don't. I love the new look of ITV News though. Tasteful, understated, colour coordinated.

That Topfield guide looks extravagantly bright or showy, typically so as to be tasteless, to me. I am sure there is a term for that.

I am sure some people like the look of the Sky News studio. I don't. I love the new look of ITV News though. Tasteful, understated, colour coordinated.
If you are referring to the MyStuff guide, there are quite a large number of user created skins available to download and use. There is also the option to create your own personal skin, in whatever colour scheme suits the individual.

I've not used a Toppy so I can't comment directly on the use of MyStuff but I have had STBs that only offered single channel guides and found it absolutely infuriating. I made a point many years ago if making sure any box I got had a grid-style guide.

I think the main reason I prefer it is for speed of scanning through what's on all the channels now and in the next couple of hours. I also use the day skip on the Hummy to scan through stuff on the main channels during the evening peak and simply can't imagine any other method is easier.

The only time I prefer the single channel is when I am vaguely aware of a new programme coming up on a particular channel but don't know exactly when. On these occasions (rare) I can use the single channel guide via the remote site but I am equally happy to use search directly on the box.

Each to their own I suppose.

I'm another toppy-to-hummy switcher of a few years ago. And I also remember the single biggest "culture shock" being the EPG. I still think the toppy was better for quickly zooming through everything a single channel had to offer for several days into the future; the hummy takes too long to go far forward in time but is better for seeing what's on all the major channels over the next few hours at once. Most of my scheduling of recordings is via "Find" on keywords or genre (films anyway) and I think I use the EPG much less than I did on the toppy.

... the hummy takes too long to go far forward in time ...
Are you on 1.03.06?
I found 1.02.xx versions slow but 1.03.06 is even slower. The only slower epgs I have seen are generic DTT very cheap devises.

Hopefully the next OTA will not be as slow.

It is worrying that Humax are installing the sluggish 1.03.06 on new releases.

I'm another toppy-to-hummy switcher of a few years ago. And I also remember the single biggest "culture shock" being the EPG. I still think the toppy was better for quickly zooming through everything a single channel had to offer for several days into the future; the hummy takes too long to go far forward in time but is better for seeing what's on all the major channels over the next few hours at once. Most of my scheduling of recordings is via "Find" on keywords or genre (films anyway) and I think I use the EPG much less than I did on the toppy.

On the Humax's own EPG you can use >> and << to move forward and back a screen at a time or >>| and |<< to move forwards and back a day at a time.

If that's any help.

I still think the toppy was better for quickly zooming through everything a single channel had to offer for several days into the future
I can see why users may differentiate between BBC (Non Commercial) and non BBC (Commercial) channels, but I can't really see why a user would only want to view from a particular channel. Is it just that you are more likely to find something of interest on say BBC4 than ITV4?

I can see why users may differentiate between BBC (Non Commercial) and non BBC (Commercial) channels, but I can't really see why a user would only want to view from a particular channel. Is it just that you are more likely to find something of interest on say BBC4 than ITV4?

I can understand that, I record way more talk radio than TV so scan through the relevant channels (Radio 4, Radio4 Extra etc.) much more frequently than TV.

Filtering the EPG is a useful feature of Favourite lists. If one only wants to see what is on (say) 7 specific services (the depth of the EPG screen), one can assemble those services into a Favourite list (Menu >> Settings >> Edit Channels >> Edit Favourite List), name it whatever one likes, and then show only those services on the EPG by selecting Guide >> Group (blue) >> <list name>.

Just a tip for anyone not in the know.

On the Humax's own EPG you can use >> and << to move forward and back a screen at a time or >>| and |<< to move forwards and back a day at a time.

If that's any help.

Yup! That was news to me! Thanks! V.useful!

I did know about the favourites list mentioned by BH, but never really tried setting it up sensibly and using it in anger. In conjunction with the above it suddenly becomes a whole load more attractive.

Yup! That was news to me! Thanks! V.useful!

I did know about the favourites list mentioned by BH, but never really tried setting it up sensibly and using it in anger. In conjunction with the above it suddenly becomes a whole load more attractive.
If you know the channel numbers, did you know that tapping in a channel number will jump to the epg entry for that channel ?

Clicking on the icon on my setup prompts for a channel change. Clicking the channel name gives single channel view.

Clicking on the channel icon on our box doesn't do anything, the channel name works the same though.

Is there something we're missing?

Back