Erroneous missing signal

rcr4321

Greetings.
Long time lurker, long time admirer, first time poster - please be gentle!

Just got a graded HDR 1TB from Humax Direct. Have had a 9200T since it was first launched and an HD with external harddrive for a couple of years so am familiar with Humax products.

Had high hopes for this graded unit as it is visibly pristine, but it has twice over the past week displayed the following message when turned on 'The receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak.' If I try to check the signal strength via System>Signal Detection, the Signal Detection option is greyed out. Power cycling with the rear switch reinstates everything. When in the faulty state, all other functions appear normal, including recording, although there is no signal to record. The signal is absolutely fine because all other STBs and the TV are fine and dandy.

The box is running 1.02.32 with loader a7.33 and I have installed cfw 2.19. Based on the serial number (and the faults v serial number thread) I would place the unit at early 2013 vintage.

Signal is received from the RF out of my 9200T. I have a very stable signal strength of around 78% and an unwavering quality of 100%. Feeding the HDR direct from the aeriel makes no difference.

I have seen one other mention of this fault (identical symptoms) in 'another place' dated Oct 2012 and one similar report on this forum posted by Wallace on the HDR-FOX-T2-GB-RE thread. Sorry, don't now how to link to this as I'm a technically challenged newb... Anyhow, neither of the previous incidents seem to have ever been properly addressed so has anyone else experienced this problem and overcome it or anyone got any ideas? Thanks in anticipation.

I get this message almost every time I record a Hi-Def programme but it still plays back perfectly. I ignore it. Does the message come up at any other time?Your signal strength is good as is mine.
It popped up again yesterday during F1 playback but playback was restored in a jiffy.

I get this message almost every time I record a Hi-Def programme but it still plays back perfectly. I ignore it. Does the message come up at any other time?Your signal strength is good as is mine.
It popped up again yesterday during F1 playback but playback was restored in a jiffy.

To be honest, that sounds more like an ad hoc signal fluctuation which is triggering the no/weak signal message. My issue is different I think. As I mentioned, the record function works on these occasions but the recording is actually blank and the thumbnail shows the broken symbol. Furthermore, the signal detection menu item is greyed out. It's as if the aeriel was unplugged but it is a decent connection and able to supply a good signal to anything else that I plug it into. Thanks though.

Sounds dodgy to me, get a replacement.

You won't be able to post links until you have ten posts under your belt.

@ Black Hole. Thanks for the tip about links.

Sadly I think you are probably right. Pity though, hard to tell its a graded box.

@Wallace. You mentioned what sounds like the same issue - reboot required to restore - in another thread.
If you read this, perhaps you could let me know if you made any progress.

Meanwhile, other thoughts welcomed.

I would be glad to.

Firstly, the box in question was purchased with official firmware v1.03.06. I wanted to install the custom firmware but didn't straight away because I wanted to make sure the box worked OK. No apparent problems.

As there wasn't a custom firmware available for v1.03.06 (at the time), I downgraded to official FW v1.02.32 then installed the CF v2.19 IIRC.

It was then I had the reported issue.

At that time, I had another TV in a different room connected via the RF output of the Hummy. I was effectively using this TV as monitor. I controlled the Hummy via a remote control extender.
Everything was fine until I changed a channel on the Hummy. The screen went blank and I had a message (generated by the Hummy) stating 'No signal or programme is scrambled...'. The only cure was to power cycle the Hummy, then all would be well. The problem on happened when I changed channels. I could watch a programme all night without it happening.

This occurred VERY intermittently. It would work faultlessly for days and days, but it would happen again at some point.

I put it down to the fact that I downgraded the official firmware. Thanks the the hard work of af123 and some kind soul that extracted the latest FW, I installed 1.03.06 back on the box, working with the CF.

I have not had a reoccurrence of the problem since the updated FW was installed. I cannot be 100% certain it is cured as this box is not in constant use at the moment. I did use it, however, for over two weeks without a hitch. I felt sure the problem would have occurred within that time, but never say never!

@Wallace. Thanks for the detailed response. So although the symptoms are similar, the circumstances are probably different.
We are both running cfw 2.19 in 1.02.32 but I can't believe that's the issue as most cfw users are likely to be doing the same and there don't appear to have any other reports of this. I wonder if I received the actual box that was reported on myhumax last October? Symptoms were absolutely identical.

If it happens again, could you note whether the Signal Detection menu item is greyed out please?

I think I'll do a factory reset, run it another week or so and if still messing me about whack it back to Humax.

Thanks to all.

If it happens again, could you note whether the Signal Detection menu item is greyed out please?
The usual reason for the signal detection menu to be grayed out is that the box is recording (or erroneously thinks it is recording).

Back