Error 2 Share Not Available

OK, so if I have not modified the smb.conf file, why did it stop working with the update?
The config file is updated to the latest if you have not made any customisations. If you had made customisations the package management would leave it alone and create the '-opkg' file as detailed above.

Samba stopped working because the new config file broke the compatibility with previously setup clients.

OK, so the update has restored access through media then my video, but still no direct access through my video which also now appears as a share. Does the new share scheme need new share permissions or something? I'm not trying to mount anything, just browse under Explorer. What is needed to get the new shares working? :confused:

OK, so the update has restored access through media then my video, but still no direct access through my video which also now appears as a share. Does the new share scheme need new share permissions or something? I'm not trying to mount anything, just browse under Explorer. What is needed to get the new shares working? :confused:
The only thing you need to do is ensure that the workgroup defined on your PC matches the one named in smb.conf in this line : workgroup = WORKGROUP.
On my PC I use the default name of WORKGROUP and have no problem seeing the shares in the right pane of Windows Explorer under Network without the need to to map a network drive.

samba.jpg

All the shares exposrted by the Humax are setup with the same permissions so what works for the media share should also work for all the others. Have you tried mapping a drive letter to the share and if so can you then access it?

I can map to "media" or "media/My Video" etc but can't map to "My Video"

My hotplug file contains a couple of oddities. One is that each share appears twice, and the second is that it seems as if the path re-direction is using back-quotes:

Code:
# Do not modify this file - it will be overwritten

[My Music]
  comment = My Music
  path = `/media/My Music' -> `/mnt/hd2/My Music'
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  browsable = yes
  create mask = 0644
  directory mask = 0755
  hide dot files = no

[My Music]
  comment = My Music
  path = `/media/My Music' -> `/mnt/hd2/My Music'
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  browsable = yes
  create mask = 0644
  directory mask = 0755
  hide dot files = no

[My Photo]
  comment = My Photo
  path = `/media/My Photo' -> `/mnt/hd2/My Photo'
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  browsable = yes
  create mask = 0644
  directory mask = 0755
  hide dot files = no

[My Photo]
  comment = My Photo
  path = `/media/My Photo' -> `/mnt/hd2/My Photo'
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  browsable = yes
  create mask = 0644
  directory mask = 0755
  hide dot files = no

[My Video]
  comment = My Video
  path = `/media/My Video' -> `/mnt/hd2/My Video'
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  browsable = yes
  create mask = 0644
  directory mask = 0755
  hide dot files = no

[My Video]
  comment = My Video
  path = `/media/My Video' -> `/mnt/hd2/My Video'
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  browsable = yes
  create mask = 0644
  directory mask = 0755
  hide dot files = no

As the file says it'll be overwritten, I haven't modified it. I could change those back-quotes or just delete it to see if the re-creation gets it wrong again. What's the suggestion from the BYTs?

T

Edit. Before trying what I suggested below: edit the first set of share parameters in the SMB-hotplug.conf file, replacing 'Music' with 'Video' (4 instances) and save. This will correct the the file contents, hopefully restoring the My Video share. As the file contents will now be as expected they should not be overwritten.

Something has gone wrong, you have the My Music share twice in the file, one of them should be My Video. I would try using the file editor function in Web-If>diagnostics, open the SMB-hotplug.conf file, delete all the contents and save. The file contents will be recreated: hopefully correctly. If this does not work, try uninstalling Samba and delete SMB.conf, SMB-Hotplug.conf and SMB.conf-opkg, if this file exists (you can do this through Web-If, or by FTP if logged-in as root) then reinstall. If this does not work, xyz123 will be able to help.

Right. Tried deleting contents. Then reboot. Re-creation succeeded and there was only one copy of all folders in the smb-hotplug.conf. Still with the back-quotes and no luck with sharing. So remove samba package, reboot. Check all samba files gone from /mod/etc. Re-install samba and reboot. Check and smb-hotplug.conf is the same, still with the back-quotes and not able to access those shares. Can still access the media folder. So where is the master config file for the hotplug file?

PS MET - the file above contains two copies of My Music, My Photos and My Videos - they're all there correctly.

This is obviously a bug, I will look into it.

For info the shares appear only once on my box, without any quotes or backquotes and do not look like a symbolic link when viewed from 'ls -l'.
Code:
[My Video]
   comment = My Video
   path = /mnt/hd2/My Video
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

PS. You don't have to delete the file, reboot or reinstall samba to regenerate the smb-hotplug file. It is just necessary to connect a USB drive.

Later... I have found the problem. I think you must have the coreutils package installed. I will update samba later today.

Ah, Ok. Thanks for looking into that.

I realise that hotplug events would change the file, but being lazy, I just issued reboot commands from the webif....

I'll install the coreutils later, then.

I think he means the cause of the problem is because you have the coreutils package installed, not that it's required - I don't have it.
Try uninstalling it.

Does anyone know what coreutils is useful for, over and above the standard Busybox stuff?

I'll install the coreutils later, then.
Apologies for the ambiguous post. I did mean that the reason for the bug is an incompatibility between the samba package and coreutils. The next version 2.2.12-6 (which should be available soon) should work with or without coreutils.

Back