!Error, cannot find event to schedule - EPG not refreshing?

SimpleSim

I have noticed that often when I try and schedule a recording using the RS service I will sometimes get the message "!Error, cannot find event to schedule." message in the activity log.

For example this morning I tried to record Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium showing on Sun, 24 Nov 2013. Now that is something you don’t want to miss - you could wait a week for it to be scheduled again ;)

I think that this is because the EPG data on my hummy doesn't yet have data for that channel on that day. I have a daily wake up (BBC1) for half an hour at 5am so I would have thought it should have - I think af123’s box generates the RS Schedule emails based on other users data (including his own I would guess). We have been using the box daily so it’s had plenty of opportunity to refresh the EPG.

So some advice really on how I can trouble shoot the issue of stale EPG?

My other comment (rather cheekily really :oops:) is if the RS process doesn't find an event could it leave the request there so it tries again? At the moment it seems to be accepted by the box and then deleted if nothing is found. Or… alternatively notify me that it failed? Thanks

You can get some idea of what EPG the Remote Server is using for your logon by looking at the RS >> Settings page, under EPG region (picture below):-

RS-Settings.png

Thanks Ezra, EPG region is North West which looks correct. What happens is that if I notice the failure I can wait a few days and try again and it will work. I think that my EPG schedule extends for 5-6 days rather than the 7 days I get via RS and that causes the issue when I use that to schedule.

I just don't understand why I am not getting the full EPG days though. Shall I extend the daily wake up longer or choose a different channel?

I have never found the need for a daily wake up timer on my boxes, I am also receiving from Winter Hill, and use AR exclusively.

I just don't understand why I am not getting the full EPG days though. Shall I extend the daily wake up longer or choose a different channel?
The North West EPG data that the RS is using will have been uploaded from any (or all) of the RS users in your area, so even if your Humax never contacts the Remote Server, it should still hold a 7/8 day EPG. If you find an entry like "13/11/2013 01:24:37Uploaded 436 EPG entries, 31.21 KiB." in your device RS Device Log, it is indicating that your Humax has contributed to the RS EPG data for your region, but as stated, it is a joint effort, so if you don't find this in your log, the data will have been supplied by another user

You can see the range of your EPG data with the epgrange diagnostic - the output from that may provide some clues.
RS does detect on-box stale EPG data when handling automatic scheduling events and defer the schedule until later. I could extend the same logic to manually scheduled events easily enough (and I'll do that) but I think that perhaps something else is wrong. It might be worth you doing an EPG reset from the telnet menu in maintenance mode to clear it out and start again.

My other comment (rather cheekily really :oops:) is if the RS process doesn't find an event could it leave the request there so it tries again? At the moment it seems to be accepted by the box and then deleted if nothing is found. Or… alternatively notify me that it failed?
RS version 1.0.5 should help with this. Is doesn't do exactly what you suggest but it will check that there is enough EPG data on the box to cover the event being scheduled and will try again later if not.

Thanks af123, I will run diagnostic and telnet to clear it out the EPG and keep an eye.

I will update my RS version too :D - thanks!

Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium has now been successfully scheduled too so all is good in the world!

An update,
I have run the epgrange diagnostic twice and they both seem to indicate a 'full' epg
Ran 14:02 19/11/2013

>>> Beginning diagnostic epgrange
Running: epgrange
Tue Nov 19 00:00:00 GMT 2013
Tue Nov 26 23:55:00 GMT 2013

>>> Ending diagnostic epgrange

run at 7am this morning
>>> Beginning diagnostic epgrange
Running: epgrange
Wed Nov 20 00:00:00 GMT 2013
Wed Nov 27 23:50:00 GMT 2013

>>> Ending diagnostic epgrange

I have also done as suggested and performed a clear out using the wiki guide - http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Maintenance_Mode

After 20 minutes I re-ran the diagnostic and got the same 'full' result so hopefully all is ok especially with the RS 1.0.5

Thanks again for all the amazing assistance

Back