External backup HDD - copying files from one to another?

I had an external backup (Seagate 1TB USB HDD with a load of stuff on (which wasn't all on the internal HDD - I'd copied off a failing internal drive before replacing it) as I've had two internal drives fail so far. However this week the external HDD has died - not recognised by Humax or laptop. Oh well, it was only telly. But some of it I'd quite liked to have watched. So I need to get another external HDD, and I guess I should really get a second one as additional backup. So, if I "move" files from the Humax internal drive to the external drive, can I then use a PC/Mac to copy the files from one external drive to another?

Yes, no problem. Even encrypted files will play on the original HDR-FOX from an external drive, even copied from drive to drive, as long as the sidecar files (specifically the .hmt file) are kept with the .ts. A naked .ts file will only play if it is not encrypted, and only unencrypted files will play on any other device (even another HDR-FOX).

Sounds like you've been very unlucky.

So, to be clear - I can copy the files off external drive 1 onto a pc or mac, then copy them again onto external drive 2? I appreciate that the two external drives need to be formatted by the Humax. If so, excellent! Or I could I guess just do two "moves" one to each external drive. And yes, a bit unlucky! I left the external drive plugged in permanently so maybe that was my mistake, but hey, you live and learn! I can also connect to my home network, and maybe sometime I'll figure out how to sit a back-up drive on that as well!!

So, to be clear - I can copy the files off external drive 1 onto a pc or mac, then copy them again onto external drive 2?
Yes, as long as you copy the recording as a complete file set (which the Humax copy operation would do anyway).

I appreciate that the two external drives need to be formatted by the Humax.
Not necessarily. See Things Every... (click) section 12. If in doubt about encryption, see section 5.

And yes, a bit unlucky! I left the external drive plugged in permanently so maybe that was my mistake, but hey, you live and learn!
I have external drives plugged in permanently and four HDRs in service, never lost a drive yet.

I can also connect to my home network, and maybe sometime I'll figure out how to sit a back-up drive on that as well!!
The custom firmware provides facilities to treat a network drive (or PC) as if it were a local USB drive.

If it's that important you might consider a dual drive server (e.g. Qnap TS-212...).
You can set up drives as RAID1 so that everything is duplicated automatically and can be recovered/rebuilt if one drive fails.
Using this together with the Custom Firmware facilities will give you the resilience and ease of use that you seem to be looking for.

You should expect to spend £200+ if you use 2x1TB disks (effectively giving 1TB of RAID protected storage).

Just a suggestion ...

If you implemented the Custom Firmware decryption facilities you would also be able to access/watch the recordings from elsewhere (PC, Tablet ...)

Back