External Camera Shutter Release for iOS

A friend was live streaming to Facebook and holding the phone landscape, but the footage on Facebook came out portrait (ie on its side)!

Interesting point: crop video to landscape when the phone is held in portrait. That would quickly encourage users to turn the phone around.

Interesting point: crop video to landscape when the phone is held in portrait. That would quickly encourage users to turn the phone around.
My take on this is that cameras in portable devices should have square sensors, then the gravity sensor can make all videos landscape regardless of orientation (unless overridden of course).

Yes, but that still suggests a phone that can do some smart stuff, whereas they are actually computers that can also do telephony.

I think it's time to resurrect PDA :)
Even PDAs didn't pretend to be cameras, did they?

Or a phone.
However, that's what they were back in the day. Things have moved on since them so no reason why "today's" PDA should not include a camera, phone, satnav, music player, radio etc. etc. (just like a smartphone:laugh:)

Or a phone.
However, that's what they were back in the day. Things have moved on since them so no reason why "today's" PDA should not include a camera, phone, satnav, music player, radio etc. etc. (just like a smartphone:laugh:)
Come on! People buy them for social media and games.

Ah, that's what they are doing when walking around with their heads down with their device easily snachable by Mr. Thief? I wonder if they would walk about with a whole bunch of £20 notes on view and easily snachable? I don't think so. Stupidity!

The camera hangs round your neck.

We should stop calling that thing in a phone a camera. Maybe a snapper? A selfier?

Actually, I have a confession to make. I was carrying a Garmin GPS around long before satnav became fashionable. I endured endless jeers about pointless technology and walking round holding a screen in front of me!

Yes, I remember you staring at the screen instead of the landscape here in the Lakes!

My take on this is that cameras in portable devices should have square sensors, then the gravity sensor can make all videos landscape regardless of orientation (unless overridden of course).
That makes absolutely no sense to me. Perhaps I have misundetstood the physical locking of lens and sensor?

Just display the movie on its side if the user holds the mobile in portrait mode, that will force them to turn it round.

I have discovered (because I had to use one last weekend) that it is too easy to get a finger in the way of the lens when holding an iPhone in landscape. Besides, why force the user to do something when the problem can be solved technologically? With a square sensor, a full-res 16:9 landscape image can be recorded from it whichever way up you hold it.

Do you mean that the device will use the G sensor and auto crop the square sensor to 16:9 regardless of phone orientation? Great idea. But until that happens, what's actually needed is to educate the imbeciles who take videos in portrait to take them in landscape instead. They probably only watch them on their phone or post them on UT etc.
If they cast them to their TV perhaps they might realise how stupid they have been, or perhaps not.
My Sony camera obviously has a square sensor, and I suspect so do phones, because to get full res, I have to take a square picture. Blx. If I switch to 16:9, the number of pixels used reduces.

Edited to strikeout duff gen.

Last edited:
That's interesting, I wondered why there is a "square" option on the iPad camera app etc - I had assumed it was to simulate a Polaroid photo. So there's nothing to stop an app implementing what I have suggested!

Would appear not. Must have a look in the playstore to see if there is anything for Android. I'll report back.

The camera on my phone has the following aspect ratios and resolutions: 4:3 12M, 16:9 9.1M and 1:1 9.1M. So it appears that the basic sensor is 4:3 landscape that is 'cropped for 16:9 and 1:1.
My Sony camera has the following: 4:3 18M, 3:2 16M, 1:1 13M and 16:9 13M. So again, it is obvious that the sensor is landscape 4:3 and the image is cropped for the other aspect ratios.

The camera on my phone has the following aspect ratios and resolutions: 4:3 12M, 16:9 9.1M and 1:1 9.1M. So it appears that the basic sensor is 4:3 landscape that is 'cropped for 16:9 and 1:1.
My Sony camera has the following: 4:3 18M, 3:2 16M, 1:1 13M and 16:9 13M. So again, it is obvious that the sensor is landscape 4:3 and the image is cropped for the other aspect ratios.
The camera pixels are real ones, whereas phone "pixels" are phoney. A phone sensor is so tiny, it can't get anywhere near those resolutions.

Do you have an α6000 or similar, then? I have the α5100 and α6000 bodies, with a variety of lenses.

BH, you will never persuade anyone to buy a phone where the image or video is constantly cropped! Fact!

I don't understand why you are so insistent on knocking phone/tablet cameras - nobody's trying to make out they are as good as top of the range dedicated DSLRs, but in many situations they're plenty good enough and more likely to be at hand. Neither do I know where you get your "phoney" pixels from, there's nothing phoney about the 13Mpx in my Samsung A3, and since the max video res anybody is likely to be using is 1920x1080 - it is cropped, whether anyone realises that or not (okay, so it is actually resampled, same effect). There would be no problem at all capturing a full video frame from a sensor on its side, but if the sensor was square in the first place it would be a symmetrical operation.

Back