External Drive format

makem

I have a 1T USB drive attached to the Humax and have an empty formatted 40GB partition formatted exFAT32.

When I use the Humax remote to copy/move a decrypted 2.46GB file to that partition I get an error:

Cannot copy files due to lack of storage space.

Would this be caused by the fact that the format is exFAT32 and not the old FAT32?

If so then as I am using Win7 Pro must I use Linux to format the partition.

The Humax will format your external USB HDD for you in EXT3 format, but this can't be read by a P.C. (* without adding an extra package to your PC) the pros and cons of different formats are :-

EXT3 = read and write on humax without 4GB limit but PC won't read or write to it*
NTFS= read only on Humax, no 4GB limit, read and write on PC
FAT32 = read and write on both Humax and PC but there is a 4GB file limit

Note :- The Custom firmware has a package that enables read / write to NTFS USB HDDs

I have never used exFAT32 but I am informed that this overcomes the 4GB limit, however I am not sure how well the Humax works with this format, If at all. You may want to consider getting the Humax to format the USB HDD in EXT3 and then FTP the files onto your PC

I don't think the Humax copes well with multiple partitions. I would not risk trying to format the partition using the Humax (it is likely to format the whole drive), and it may well be confused about the available space because of the other partition.

The Humax will format your external USB HDD for you in EXT3 format, but this can't be read (without adding an extra package to your PC) the pros and cons of different formats are :-

EXT3 = read and write on humax without 2GB limit but PC wont read or write to it
NTFS= read only on Humax, no 2GB limit, read and write on PC
FAT32 = read and write on both Humax and PC but there is a 2GB file limit

I assume that exFAT32 also suffers from the 2GB file limit, hence why I get the error message. I am wondering why a new 'extended' file system should suffer from an age old problem.

Can you point me to the 'extra package' and I will decide if I must use that. I want to use the large USB drive for purposes other than the Humax and would like to be able to take it to China with Strictly on it as an alternative to burning DVC/CD's

I don't think the Humax copes well with multiple partitions. I would not risk trying to format the partition using the Humax (it is likely to format the whole drive), and it may well be confused about the available space because of the other partition.

I did initially look at using the Humax to format the partition but it appeared it wanted to format the internal disc only.

So you think the error may be caused by confusion over two partitions? In that case I case easily check by transferring the file to a USB stick with just one exFAT32 partition.

The add-on P.C. package to read EXT3 is in the link above and also HERE. The Custom Firmware package needed to allow read / write of NTFS is HERE. I think it's safer to keep the USB HDD to a single partition (as detailed above). The Humax will format a USB HDD

I did initially look at using the Humax to format the partition but it appeared it wanted to format the internal disc only.

So you think the error may be caused by confusion over two partitions? In that case I case easily check by transferring the file to a USB stick with just one exFAT32 partition.

Formatted a 4GB USB drive as exFAT32 and get the same not enough space error. Will try FAT32.

The add-on P.C. package to read EXT3 is in the link above and also HERE. The Custom Firmware package needed to allow read / write of NTFS is HERE. I think it's safer to keep the USB HDD to a single partition (as detailed above). The Humax will format a USB HDD

Well, what am I messing about with the Linux file system, exFAT32 or FAT 32 if the Humax can read/write NTFS with a little help!

The 1T drive was formatted NTFS before I shrank it to put a partition on specially for the Humax :(

The Humax can read NTFS with no help, But it needs the CF package to write to NTFS

Installed the package and cannot make a new folder. Probably need to reboot but the Humax is busy, so tomorrow.

Thanks all for the help (and the comment;) )

I assume that exFAT32 also suffers from the 2GB file limit, hence why I get the error message. I am wondering why a new 'extended' file system should suffer from an age old problem.

The FAT file limit is 4GB (Ezra edited his post to reflect this), and it is by no means certain that exFAT is supported. Further info in Things Every... section 12.

Back