External Hard Drive Keeps Crashing T2

HarryHoudini

I have a 500gb WD Hard Drive, USB 2.0 that is formatted to Fat32, which i've been using to watch movies through my ps3. I thought i would give it a try running through the T2, it loads up but as soon as try to select a folder the T2 just shuts down and restarts. Any ideas as to why and also can i copy files to the T2 to free up space on my portable HDD?

If the WD HDD does not have it's own power supply, it may be tying to take too much power from the Humax's USB. Files on the WD HDD can be coped on the the Humax's internal HDD for playing, if they are in a format the Humax can play

Ah ok, it doesn't have its own power supply. Is there a list of what it supports i mainly have avi, mp4 and mkv?

It does support all the types you've listed, however each of these have different 'flavours' only some of which play. You could connect the WD HDD to a computer and then FTP the contents to the Humax from the computer, some notes HERE

No, but you will have to configure Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> FTP Server = On.

As far as your external drive problems are concerned, a "portable" USB2 drive ought to be OK from the power point of view, I have several 500GB of various types and all are satisfactory. There might be a problem with the Humax - have you tried both USB ports? You could try reformatting the drive (full format, not quick format).

See also Things Every... (click) section 12.

Ah ok, it doesn't have its own power supply. Is there a list of what it supports i mainly have avi, mp4 and mkv?

Many .mkv files are not compatible with the Humax - I believe it's something to do with compressed headers. On my hummy, attempting to play such files frequently causes the box to reboot. The solution is to recode them as .mp4, preferably with AAC audio rather than AC3. There are a number of tools that will do this quickly - I use Xvid4PSP5 or Gotsent.

Reboot behaviour for this reason only occurs when you try to play the file, not when you select a folder.

Well ive tried a movie on a usb stick and that works ok. On my portable hard drive i do have several folders some of which are work files, could this be a problem?

Back