External Hard Drive on Laptop to play on Humax Fox T2

Wrinkly Diz

Is it possible to play films on the Humax Fox T2 which are stored on an external hard drive connected through a router to my laptop ?

Do you mean the files are local to the HD-FOX? If so, no. The HD-FOX does not have streaming capabilities, unlike the HDR-FOX (from its internal drive).

You would need to install the custom software, decrypt the recordings, and either stream with Mediatomb, set up a network share, or pull them off with FTP.

If on the other hand you are asking whether the HD-FOX can play media that is stored somewhere else on your network, then yes. You need to set up a DLNA server on your PC - XBMC does the job for me.

Do you mean the files are local to the HD-FOX? If so, no. The HD-FOX does not have streaming capabilities, unlike the HDR-FOX (from its internal drive).

You would need to install the custom software, decrypt the recordings, and either stream with Mediatomb, set up a network share, or pull them off with FTP.

If on the other hand you are asking whether the HD-FOX can play media that is stored somewhere else on your network, then yes. You need to set up a DLNA server on your PC - XBMC does the job for me.

The film files are stored on an external hard drive connected to my router and I currently play them on my laptop wirelessly. The laptop is partitioned for two OS namely Windows 7 and Linux Mint 12. I've tried XBMC on Linux but not very successfully and I have Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7. When I go into network on the Humax Fox T2 the folders which should contain the films is not there. If you require any more info please ask.

It depends how the router handles the drive. Does the router have a DLNA service that can be switched on (NAS drives marketed as being media servers do)? If not, the Humax won't see the content.

If the router offers the drive as a network share, you will need to use the custom software to make network shares mountable.

Back