External HDD not detected by HDR FOX T2?

Hi, please could you shed some light on this issue if you could. I have a 1TB Buffalo HD-PNFU-3 USB drive, which I have formatted to Ext3 using GParted on my Linux laptop, when I attach it to the front USB port of the FOX T2 the white light on the drive comes on, but I can't find the drive on the box, not even certain where to look or what to expect at all. Therefore any ideas will be most welcomed.
Thank you.

Not really a CF thing, but Menu>Video>Blue (Storage)>USB.

When in (eg) a telnet shell prompt, run mount to show how the USB drive is mounted in the file system.

Thank you I have figured it out eventually I did format it using the box software I hope this is correct.
Can the HDD be left attached permanently

OK apologies, I am mearly exploring the idea of having a functional external HDD, have not yet decided as to application.
However two things come to mind, firstly can decrypted recordings be transferred over, if so how?, And secondly how can I access the external HDD from the web interface.
Thanks

OK apologies, I am mearly exploring the idea of having a functional external HDD, have not yet decided as to application.
However two things come to mind, firstly can decrypted recordings be transferred over, if so how?, And secondly how can I access the external HDD from the web interface.
Thanks
Yes to both,

In webif the drive will appear under /media (parent of My Video)

You can use the remote to move/copy recordings and they will be decrypted, if needed, in the process

You can also use webif to move/copy but they wont be decrypted in the process.

It seems to me you're putting the cart before the horse. Having an additional HDD running increases your electricity bill, increases noise, and imposed additional stress on the PSU. Presumably the drive is in some kind of unventilated enclosure, so the HDD inside it will cook if left on for long periods. You ought to have a valid reason to outweigh those negatives, and there's every possibility that whatever you want to do has already had a solution developed.

can decrypted recordings be transferred over, if so how?
You really haven't done much research, have you. Things Every... (click) section 5 (and follow links to further reading).

For example: with custom firmware we can decrypt recordings at will or automatically, and transfer them across the network without copying them to a USB device.

As I have explained nothing is finalized yet, I simply wanted to explore and play around, I am aware of transfer across the network etc.
I value other people's opinions that is all.
Thanks

Back