External portable HDD to use with a Humax HDR-FOX T2 - Can you help!?

I assume that the lack of a power supply was assumed to be the problem. But what do I know?

Me too. I think BH is reading it wrong. Nothing obscure about EPs post to me.

USB only supply's 5v if I remember right and I think we found a few years back that the voltage either fluctuates or is shared with the front USB port. Something like that. There is also the element of different hdds needing differing voltages that would cope fine with a normal PC/laptop.

I myself have a few buffalo portables that are USB powered and have never had any issue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing obscure about EPs post to me
Whether it's obscure or not depends on which power supply you are referring to: the internal PSU or the external PSU connected to the external drive. I assumed the external PSU, therefore Ezra's post seemed contradictory to me. However if you assume the internal PSU, it's not contradictory.
So it depends how you read it.

If you have to make an assumption for the text to make sense, it's obscure whichever way you read it - which is why I said "I think".

But why would the external power supply be a problem? If it is, it's faulty. If it comes with the product and is designed for the product... Common sense again chaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you recall a post where it was proved to be a power issue due to just 1 drive being connected? I've not seen one so far.
I would have to say no, there were reports of users replacing a USB powered drive that didn't work on the Humax with mains powered drives that did work with the Humax and assuming that the power supply was the problem
So why is this not ambiguous? Is "proved" the critical term (ie not actually proved but assumed)? That's being a little OTT don't you think? If we take it that these examples meet the request, then the "no" is self-contradictory.

More nitpicking?
You broke the truce.

Not too ambiguous for you obviously, otherwise, why would you agree?
By making a best guess at what I thought you meant - which was easiest by interpreting your "no" as "yes".

you need to check the time stamps, your comment in #77 is dated Sunday 20th. July 2014 and the comment you are complained about is dated 25th. July 2014 (Yesterday)
No I don't. Saying I found your post ambiguous can only be interpreted as nit-picking by somebody who cannot accept they are ever in error, and even if your post was not in error there is nothing wrong with me finding it ambiguous. As usual, I have explained my reasons and you have avoided explaining yours.

There is nothing wrong with me asking why a document with 1400+ words in it is described as a quick guide, that's not nitpicking unlike #77 and your second comment HERE

For the record, I have just purchased a
Toshiba Stor.e Canvio 2TB portable hard drive
from eBuyer.
This is a USB 3.0/2.0 drive which is powered from the USB only.
The drive is NTFS formatted and I am using latest custom firmware (see signature)
I have it connected to my HDR-Fox-T2, USB power seems to be OK and they seem to work well together.

Why? It's a statement of fact and may prove useful to somebody. As noted in Things Every... (click) section 12, that somebody has a particular external HDD and it happens to work with their particular Humax is no guarantee that the same brand/model of drive will work with somebody else's Humax, but it's a good indication.

For the record, I have just purchased a
Toshiba Stor.e Canvio 2TB portable hard drive
from eBuyer.
This is a USB 3.0/2.0 drive which is powered from the USB only.
The drive is NTFS formatted and I am using latest custom firmware (see signature)
I have it connected to my HDR-Fox-T2, USB power seems to be OK and they seem to work well together.

If you aren't recording directly to a USB drive any USB drive will be perfectly OK. Recording directly is more onerous as the broadcast stream has to be recorded in real time (hence AV specced drives with minimum data checking).

I don't understand that. The data rate is quite modest, I ran a test recently with (if I recall) seven simultaneous HiDef streams to/from (internal) disk without a hiccup.

The point about AV drives is the sustained transfer of contiguous data at modest rates and an optimised power profile for being continuously spinning. I am not aware of any "portable" USB drives being AV-specified, and in any case this would only be relevant to an HD-FOX.

If you aren't recording directly to a USB drive any USB drive will be perfectly OK.
OK, maybe I wasn't specific enough.
This thread is discussing the use of external drives in general, and had raised questions about those that use only USB power (seemingly referred to as portable).
I believe that there was a view that USB 2.0 compatibility should mean that these drives could be used.
On that basis I bough a drive "at risk" and thought it would be useful to others to have a concrete example of a drive that had been found to work.
I must admit, I hadn't considered the HD-Fox, so hadn't considered live recording to the drive. Not sure how to test on a HDR-Fox? Maybe move a series folder to the external drive and replace it with a soft link?

OK, maybe I wasn't specific enough.
This thread is discussing the use of external drives in general, and had raised questions about those that use only USB power (seemingly referred to as portable).
I believe that there was a view that USB 2.0 compatibility should mean that these drives could be used.
On that basis I bough a drive "at risk" and thought it would be useful to others to have a concrete example of a drive that had been found to work.
I must admit, I hadn't considered the HD-Fox, so hadn't considered live recording to the drive. Not sure how to test on a HDR-Fox? Maybe move a series folder to the external drive and replace it with a soft link?

You can't really test live recording to usb using a HDR FOX T2. I used a HD FOX T2 with a 1TB externally powered USB drive for about 18 months. I found that after around 12 months or so you got frequent drop out in recordings, presumably down to the drive built in error checking. A format fixes it for a while.

Last edited:
Got a Samsung D3 2TB drive today.
USB3 external power supply.

It's formatted NTFS but thats fine cos I don't intend the Humax to write to it.. its just so I can playback avi's music and photos.

Here's my problem.
Navigation on it is PAINFULLY slow. From selecting USB in the media menu, every folder selection takes about 20 secs with the 'Processing...' banner.

When you finally get to the media file you want it seems to play OK... but the slow navigation is making it pretty useless.

Tried both USB ports. Making sure cables are away from other cables etc.
Works fine when plugged into the PC.

Tried USB sticks with the same content on and they work fine.
Humax is on latest firmware, not custom.

Anyone experienced similar ?? Any ideas ??

Back