Extra layer of encoding

John Norman

Hi, I have been experimenting with archiving free to air recordings in the UK. I am using the latest firmware (1.03.12 I think is the relevant number) and transferring decoded files to my Mac where most play fine with VLC. However, some files come across with no sound. I suspect a decryption issue because when I try to replay the same file on the TV I get a request to enter the admin 4-number security code of the Humax before the file will start to play (although it then plays on the TV with sound). Is this a known issue and is there a known solution/workaround?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The PIN entry means you have parental control set somewhere.

Lack of sound on playback (particularly HiDef recordings) usually means the player is unable to track a change in the audio stream between (say) the intro and the actual programme. This can sometimes be solved by cropping off the lead in.

Shouldn't this be under "HDR ..... Custom Firmware" section. How else could HiDef have been decrypted (decoded?).

Thanks for your help. So far I have located parental controls and indeed there was a setting that I have now removed (I certainly don't remember setting it so I guess it is a factory default).
I tried to find a simple editor (for Mac) to trim the start of the film, but without much luck, but in doing so I tried Aimersoft Video Converter which seemed to pick up the audio. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to resave without doing a conversion, so I am running that now to see what happens (trial version - annoyingly it seems to inflate the file by 2GB).

I am using the built in decryption, so if I am in the wrong place I'd be happy for the thread to be moved or to repost in HDR...Custom Firmware.

I'm not sure what CFW is, but I am not using FOXY to decrypt, just the function built into the WebUI options.

Sorry for the newbie language.

Standard Def. recordings and Hi-Def. recordings have different sound formats, so it may be that the files that don't play on your Mac are the Hi-Def. ones. The latest VLC for Windows will play all recorded soundtracks from the Humax, I don't know about the Mac version

I am mostly making Hi-Def recordings and that was the case for the current problem. VLC mostly plays the Hi-Def recordings OK, but not this one - which is why I thought the code request might represent an additional level of security. I will see if the problem recurs now I have turned off parental guidance. I should also know in about 15 minutes whether Aimersoft Video Converter has resolved the issue with this file.

If your Mac / VLC plays some Hi-Def. files with sound but not others, there are a few things it could be, Hi-def. files can be in Dolby digital 2.0 or Dolby 5.1 although I have never seen VLC play one but not the other, also there is the point that BH made in #2, some players can't cope with the changes in audio types that happen when the broadcast switches from say adverts in stereo to a DD5.1 film, in this case chopping off the adverts gets around this

So Aimersoft will create a file with the audio, but out of sync by almost a whole second. I take this to mean the decrypt in CFW worked.

It looks like an issue for VLC. Thanks all, great product and helpful forum.

PS. Any advice on simple Mac trimming option welcome, but I recognise that is not what this forum is for so no worries if you can't help.

There is an editing package for the CFW called nicesplice Guide HERE, there is also a list of editors / converter in the Wiki, they are mostly for Windows but there may be Mac versions, link HERE

Just to close this out. I tried Nicesplice, cut of the lead-in and the resulting recording played with good audio in VLC. Thanks for the help.

Back