Extra Long OTA Wake-Up

Ezra Pound

I have a data logger running every 5 Mins. when the Humax is out of standby, Usually it show that the nightly OTA search runs from 4:30AM to 4:35AM, however this morning the OTA search ran continously from 4:30AM to 5:55AM, I did not have any recordings, reminders or Auto On / Offs during these hours, has anyone else noticed this or have an explanation? Ver. 1.02.20 mod 1.16

I've noticed both my HD and HDR have been spending a lot time half awake recently. I thought it might be an errant sleep timer lying around from a deleted RS scheduled wake up, but it has persisted after the sleep timer has been deleted. The boxes seem to be ok once they have been powered on and then put into standby but next morning they are back in half-awake mode and the HDD light is lit on the HD, while the fan on the HDR is whirring away. :confused:

Mine was the usual five minutes:

Code:
humax# sqlite3 /mod/monitor/monitor.db
sqlite> select datetime(dat, 'unixepoch') from temp;
2012-04-24 00:33:01
2012-04-24 00:34:01
2012-04-24 03:30:02
2012-04-24 03:31:01
2012-04-24 03:32:01
2012-04-24 03:33:01
2012-04-24 03:34:01
2012-04-24 03:35:01
2012-04-24 06:00:02
2012-04-24 06:01:01

(Note, the raw times are in GMT hence one hour out from current local time)

I've noticed both my HD and HDR have been spending a lot time half awake recently. I thought it might be an errant sleep timer lying around from a deleted RS scheduled wake up, but it has persisted after the sleep timer has been deleted. The boxes seem to be ok once they have been powered on and then put into standby but next morning they are back in half-awake mode and the HDD light is lit on the HD, while the fan on the HDR is whirring away. :confused:

Could I ask how you define the 'half awake' state, as far as i'm concerned the box is either in standby or on e.g.
standby = HDD not spinning, USB power = off, video output to TV = off
unit on = HDD spinning, USB powered, video output to TV = on

How much data is held in the monitor db? I've just run these command on my HDR and the entries only start at 20:12 this evening, so I can't see what went on this morning. I'll run this first thing tomorrow and see what it reveals.

Judging from the lack of output I get when running this on my HD, I'm guessing it doesn't work there?

"Half awake" is how we usually refer to the state where it's recording from standby or waiting to record from standby by AR. Everything basically active but no video or user interface.

Half awake state seems to have LED lit on HD and fan running on HDR, but otherwise the boxes appear to be off and not doing anything. However, WebIF can connect to them although the default web page says "In Standby".

How much data is held in the monitor db? I've just run these command on my HDR and the entries only start at 20:12 this evening, so I can't see what went on this morning. I'll run this first thing tomorrow and see what it reveals.

I guess you are refering to Temp and Vmstat databases in the monitor.db file, Mine goes back to 1335113103 unix time, which is Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:45:03 GMT
don't forget it will only log when the box is out of standby

I guess you are refering to Temp and Vmstat databases in the monitor.db file, Mine goes back to 1335113103 unix time, which is Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:45:03 GMT
don't forget it will only log when the box is out of standby
Yes, currently the database contains a record for each minute the box has been on since you installed sysmon. The next version will automatically summarise data into larger time periods and remove old data.

Half awake state seems to have LED lit on HD and fan running on HDR, but otherwise the boxes appear to be off and not doing anything. However, WebIF can connect to them although the default web page says "In Standby".

O.K. so it does look as it is in the state as described by Black Hole, either recording from standby or waiting to record, I guess you could also add the 'OTA search' to this half-awake list. Do you have the Redring package installed? as this will give more of a clue to its state. by showing the colour of the centre power button 'ring'

Yes, currently the database contains a record for each minute the box has been on since you installed sysmon. The next version will automatically summarise data into larger time periods and remove old data.

Ah, I didn't realise this was part of sysmon, which I've only just installed on the HDR. I've added it to the HD too, so I'll see what it has to say for itself tomorrow. I don't have Redring installed.

Ah, I didn't realise this was part of sysmon, which I've only just installed on the HDR. I've added it to the HD too

Sysmon won't work on the HD, well it won't display the temperature of a USB hard disk drive (I don't think), however it may add 1 Min. time stamps to the monitor.db file for each Minute it is out of standby. As you don't have Redring installed I guess your 'Half-Awake' state displays the dull amber power button 'ring' colour

I have just installed sysmon on my HD to see what it looks like. It requires Flash so I can't use my iPad. :(

The logo is huge compared MediaTomb.

Edit: Removed.

I have never experienced the half-awake state you describe but sometimes used to find that the my HD-Fox was fully on for no apparent reason. I hasn't happened lately.

Interesting (if confusing) development since last night:

Last night I removed Disable-OTA and Auto-Update from both the HD and HDR (thinking they might cause the box to wake up overnight) and installed sysmon on both of them. Both boxes are set to power off automatically at 23:59 and have power saving and automatic idle power-off enabled. This morning, the HD was properly asleep (for the first time in a while) but the HDR was half awake again, disk spinning and accessible to WeB-IF (which showed the status as "In standby"). Sysmon appears not to work at all on the HD, while on the HDR it showed that the box was on constantly from 00:20, despite no recordings or wake-up timers being set and despite the autmatic power-off settings. I needto keep an eye on this to find a pattern

Interesting (if confusing) development since last night:

Last night I removed Disable-OTA and Auto-Update from both the HD and HDR (thinking they might cause the box to wake up overnight) and installed sysmon on both of them. Both boxes are set to power off automatically at 23:59 and have power saving and automatic idle power-off enabled. This morning, the HD was properly asleep (for the first time in a while) but the HDR was half awake again, disk spinning and accessible to WeB-IF (which showed the status as "In standby"). Sysmon appears not to work at all on the HD, while on the HDR it showed that the box was on constantly from 00:20, despite no recordings or wake-up timers being set and despite the autmatic power-off settings. I needto keep an eye on this to find a pattern
If you have an OFF timer set without the ON timer being set it screws the HDR up and often sits in Semi-on state rather than going to standby. Make sure you have a match pair set and I've found that using the weekend only option also makes it do strange things.

Sysmon won't work on a Humax HD T2 because it only reads from an intenal Hard disk drive (This may change in the future). Diasble OTA prevents the Humax waking up at 4:30AM and auto-update wont wake up your Humax. As stated above the problem is the 'Off Timer' without a matching 'On Timer' bug
EDIT
I have added some notes on this to the WiKi FAQs HERE Why is my Humax Half Awake?

I don't have any power events set, other than the power-off event that can be set via the HDR's settings on the on-screen menu. Is that likely to be the cause of this behaviour, or is it only lingering power-off events that have been set via RS that can cause it? Is it worth disabling the power-off event that's set on the HDR's on-screen menu, do you think?

Back