Extract To MPG options for .AVI or .MP4

Would it be possible for the custom firmware utility "Extract To MPG" offer the .AVI and/or .MP4 options so that DVDs can be written without the need to further convert on an Apple Mac, please

No.

The extraction process does not convert the video at all - it simply repackages the video contained in the .TS into the format of a .MPG file. This is why the operation is called "extract" rather than "convert". The video itself is H.264, and HDR-FOX is not powerful enough to convert the video to another format (DVD requires H.262 / MPEG-2 / MPEG-1 Part 2).

If you are having trouble importing the video into your video utilities, sometimes simply changing the file extension will fool the utility into accepting the file.

Only High Def. TS files on the Humax are in H.264 (these files can't be extracted using 'Extract to MPG'). Standard Def. TS files on the Humax are MPEG2 which is the format required for DVD, so renaming a Standard Def. Humax TS file to MPG is all that is required to allow it it be accepted by DVD authoring software.

Details of a Standard Def. Humax TS file :-

upload_2014-12-17_17-9-28.png

Details of a High Def Humax TS file (Note 'Extract to MPG' can't be used for High Def. Files):-

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Only High Def. TS files on the Humax are in H.264 (these files can't be extracted using 'Extract to MPG'). Standard Def. TS files on the Humax are MPEG2 which is the format required for DVD, so renaming a Standard Def. Humax TS file to MPG is all that is required to allow it it be accepted by DVD authoring software.

Details of a Standard Def. Humax TS file :-

View attachment 1495

Details of a High Def Humax TS file (Note 'Extract to MPG' can't be used for High Def. Files):-

View attachment 1496

Not sure where you got the stream parameters from.

SD Video codec is mpeg2.

Framerate is 25 frames/second (5o fields/second for interlaced content on SD or 1080i50 (50 fields/second) or 1080p25 for HD channels. Anamorphic HD (1440 x 1080) disappeared a while ago, resolution is 1920 x 1080.

Freeview-HD cannot do 108op50. DVD-Video can't do 576p50 only 576i50/576p25.

BBC-SD files are 720 x 576 though that's not really significant, some of the worst channels have much lower horizontal resolutions. All are 576i.

Incidentally HD recordings can be recorded to a DVD-Blank using AVCHD format provided the recording fits within the available space. Replay requires a Blu-ray player (or a PC with suitable codecs). Depending on the player the aac audio may require replacing with ac3.

Last edited:
SD Video codec is mpeg2
VLC is agreeing with you, Codec = MPEG 1 / (MPEG) 2 for SD, not H.264

Anamorphic HD (1440 x 1080) disappeared a while ago
True, but High Def. 1440 x 1080 was H.264 and the current High Def. 1920 x 1080 is also H.264, so the 1440 is not important

Incidentally HD recordings can be recorded to a DVD-Blank using AVCHD
True again, but AVCHD is not a DVD standard and the resulting disk won't play on a DVD player

There seems to be a bit of confusion on this thread. I believe the OP is asking for the ability to remux to AVI or MP4 containers, rather than the currently-offered MPEG-PS (.mpg) container.

On the face of it, it would appear that there is be no need to re-encode either the video or the audio, writing either H.264 or MPEG2 into AVI or MP4 are simple operations for ffmpeg, which is how "extract to MPG" works. Indeed, MP4 would probably be the most natural choice for UK HD content (H.264/AAC). I'm not sure what the codec support for DVB subtitles is in AVI and MP4 is like for player software, but no different than MPEG-TS or MPEG-PS I would expect. However, there are a few snags, for HD content anyway:

Freeview HD uses AAC audio, which is standard for MP4 but in Freeview it is packaged in LATM form which is not what most player software expects. Ffmpeg can't put LATM AAC into an MP4 container, and I'm not even sure it's "allowed". Ffmpeg will put it in AVI but I've no idea if it will play OK:
ffmpeg -i file.ts -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -vcodec copy -acodec copy file.avi

Really for HD content you'd need to repackage the LATM AAC - this is actually quite a simple operation that would not require much CPU at all, but common tools like Ffmpeg can't do it. FFmpeg can re-encode it (and does so without impacting viewing TV) but it takes a good long while. Here's a useful thread:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...64-lev-4-with-AAC-in-LATM-audio)-for-iPad-PS3

A binary to simply strip the LATM header and update the metadata should be possible, but you'd need to know a fair bit about these things to implement it.

Oh but in case it wasn't clear, SD should be no problem to actually implement, and it's done just like it is for MPG. I tested it just now:
ffmpeg -i file.ts -t 120 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -copyinkf file.mp4
ffmpeg -i file.ts -t 120 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -copyinkf file.avi

They play fine in VLC. Don't expect QuickTime to play MP4 files with MP2 audio though.

A useful post, thanks, but the OP was asking about targeting the repackaging at DVD output - although it may well be possible to repackage to MP4, the stream codecs will still (according to my limited understanding) be incompatible with DVD.

Correct - Video mpeg 1 (limited resolutions - VCD) and mpeg 2.

Full info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video
Eh? MPEG2 video/MP2 audio are fine for DVD. I guess the OP would need to clarify, but my impression was just that whatever software he's using on Mac does not support MPG files but does support AVI and MP4. Whether that software is intelligent enough to know not to re-encode those codecs is another question!

Back