Factory Reset

Hi

I'm just about to reset my HDR T2 (to try to solve a noisy hard disk problem). I'm currently running 1.02.20 with the Custom Firmware 2.12 and I use the remote scheduler. My plan is:

• Copy all recordings to PC using Filezilla
  • Factory reset/reformat
  • install latest 1.02.28 firmware (is this the best?)
  • install custom firmware associated with 1.02.28
  • Copy all recordings back.
To ensure I put all my current packages back, I have screenshotted my installed list. Is there a better way?
Do I just reinstall the Remote Scheduler? Will it remember all the searches I had setup and simply carry on setting recordings according to my original list?
Is there anything obviously wrong with my plan?
Thanks in advance.

If the hard disk is physically making a noise then I don't think re-formatting it will help.
1.02.29 is the latest official and Custom Firmware version (1.02.28 has no internet Radio)
The Remote Schedule package takes it's data from the Humax box, however I think EPG searches in the RS will be lost

Everything you've set up in remote scheduler will be fine, you just reinstall the package. It should even be re-linked to your box automatically.

Well, I "factory reset" and reformatted my hard drive. The disk is now slightly less noisy, but I guess that could just be because my disk is now 25% used (rather than 80%).

A couple of questions/observations though.

1. After reformatting my 1Tb disk (via the Humax menu), it showed up as 20Gb in use? Is this what you would expect? Seems very high to me?
2. Disk check on the HUMAX still fails with error 5 (tried a reformat twice, but its still showing up as failing). Disk check on the webif also shows

SMART Status​

FAILED!

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct PO--CK 17387 001 001 036 Pre-fail Always FAILING_NOW

I've run fix-disk twice. 1st time it did a lot of "fixing", but the 2nd time it did nothing.

1. After reformatting my 1Tb disk (via the Humax menu), it showed up as 20Gb in use? Is this what you would expect? Seems very high to me?
The Humax does reserve parts of the disk for things like the time-shift record buffer. 20GB doesn't seem unreasonable but it's a long time since I reformatted my own disk.

2. Disk check on the HUMAX still fails with error 5 (tried a reformat twice, but its still showing up as failing). Disk check on the webif also shows

SMART Status

FAILED!

Does it show anything against the rows starting 197/198? Your disk has had to reallocate 17387 physical sectors due to media errors. All disks have some factory defects which cause media errors so disks have a pool of spare sectors ready for allocation. That said, 17387 is a lot of reallocation and probably indicates a failing disk. The key is whether that number is still growing.

197 Current_Pending_Sector -O--C- 0 100 100 000 Old_age Always -
198 Offline_Uncorrectable ----C- 0 100 100 000 Old_age Offline -

Number against row 5 hasn't changed

That's good but the fact that the SMART status if failed means that the disk probably won't lasting longer. I would start copying off anything you want to keep and plan for a replacement disk.

That's what I feared. Box is still under warranty. If I take it back and get it replaced, presumably I'll need to decrypt all my recordings to get them to play on a new box?

Yes, you need to decrypt them, which a copy to a USB drive will do for SD (and HD with CFW & auto-unprotect). Takes some time to copy though.

Hi,
I had a similar problem just before Christmas with the HDR Fox T2 1TB, 1.02.29,CF2.14.
My box was 1 year old with a code 5 disk failure. I used CF2.14 to decript the HD recordings and then used a 500G USB hard disk as a backup.
I reformated three times and still got the code 5 failure.
I contacted Richer Sounds who then sent the box back to Humax and give me a loan box of a different make for the three weeks it took Humax to respond.
This was over the Christmas holiday period.
I received a new box from Humax last Friday. Excellent service from Humax and Richer Sounds.

I have now set up the new box with CF2.14 and all is well.
I have reloaded my old recordings back via the USB port and all play including the HD recordings.

Hope this helps.

Hi ballans

Yes, that's helpful. Reassures me that I'll be able to watch my recordings on a new box (should that be the outcome). Problem is being without the box for so long. Its completely changed our viewing habits. We now tend to record a whole series before watching, so I need to wait until "Borgen" has finished before I take the box back :rolleyes:.

The box is use-able, but can be very noisy at times, and sometimes playback of recordings breaks up.

Back