Failed (2nd) simultaneous recording but playing 2 channels??

RichardHenshall

I'm posting this here because I'm using custom firmware in my attempts to diagnose problems with failed simultaneous recordings.

As I understand it, I should always be able to record any two channels, regardless of the Mux, and when recording two channels I should be able to watch channels on either Mux being recorded, or, if both recordings are in the same Mux I should be able to watch anything.

First question is; Which takes priority - the recordings or the watched channels, if there is a conflict?

I have been getting failed recordings (one of two simultaneous) that claim inadequate signal, yet I can happily watch either channel or record either channel alone.

This evening, following a crash (possibly caused by using Iplayer while recording - a new problem to me), I happened to notice the status of the machine suggesting that it was playing two channels simultaneously - how can that happen?

In fact I was recording (I hope!) the channel showing as playing and playing a recording of the other while it was still recording (is that the same as chase playing?). Is this why I sometimes can't record a second channel, because the box thinks I've used up all my allowed simultaneous activities?

Thoughts anyone, please?

The timers and any instant recording take priority but if the second recording is using the Accurate Recording function and it is from a different transmitter than the one you are watching it may not be recorded.

First thing is to check if you are just tuned to one transmitter and if not to retune to just your preferred transmitter
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-t2-tuning-advice.472/page-2

The status display from the webif uses a variety of mechanisms to attempt to determine what is actually happening on the machine and doesn't always get it right so having it show two playing simultaneously is not too uncommon

I have a total of 10 Muxes here in Belfast but AFAIK only one (to deliver RTÉ One & Two, TG4) comes from a second transmitter, though it's still part of the Northern Ireland network and there are no duplicate channels (>799).

On reflection I think there may have been cases where I was be unable to watch a second channel (due to alleged signal issues) when, I think, only recording one other. The Hidden Settings menu seems to suggest that both tuners are receiving 100% quality and around 70% strength, on the weaker Muxes.

Richard, In Belfast you are likely to be receiving the following from Black Mountain and the others from Devis
51 TG4
52 RTÉ One
53 RTÉ Two
729 RTÉ RnaG

I am wondering of there are 2 issues here - a fault with your own Humax and also the way that HDR-FOX T2 cannot always handle missing transmitters .

Using Accurate Recording will not always work with a mix of Devis and Black Mountain .
If it would help if you could note down some examples and report the channels involved, and then it may be possible to see if you have a second issue.

Last edited:
That's when a recording is being "played" to decrypt it, isn't it?
It can also be when a process like DetectAds is running (it can also show up as Chase playing)

Af123 and I have discussed the issue but haven't yet come up with a good mechanism for CF tasks to tell status and TVdiary what they are doing so that they can report more accurately.

That's when a recording is being "played" to decrypt it, isn't it?

I thought the decryption process happened when the recording had finished, or is it a background process during recording with the flag being removed afterwards?

Have a read through this topic: forum/threads/advice-for-tuning-multiple-regions.3429/#post-40874

I've tried to make sense of that in my context and I'm not sure it's relevant.

Richard, In Belfast you are likely to be receiving the following from Black Mountain and the others from Devis
51 TG4
52 RTÉ One
53 RTÉ Two
729 RTÉ RnaG

I am wondering of there are 2 issues here - a fault with your own Humax and also the way that HDR-FOX T2 cannot always handle missing transmitters .

Using Accurate Recording will not always work with a mix of Devis and Black Mountain .
If it would help if you could note down some examples and report the channels involved, and then it may be possible to see if you have a second issue.

I assume you meant mixing transmitters? The NIMux on 618MHz (channel 39) is, imho, intended to be received along with the 'normal' Muxes, even though it is vertically polarised (presumably because Black Mountain also transmits some other 'normal' Muxes at low power to cover a reception black spot from Divis). I cannot receive these other low power Muxes. The 4 channels you mention show on the EPG as well as all the 'normal' channels.

We only ever use Accurate Recording and only rarely have issues with timing, as such. These failed recordings are blamed on a lack of signal.

We mostly watch and record from BBC1 NI HD, BBC2 HD and C4 HD and if we stick the them, seem to be OK. If we include watching/recording on C4+1 HD, BBC4HD & 4seven HD, we seem to run into recording failures.

I am now thinking that all the failed recordings might be on the same COM7/ARQ C Mux on 570MHz (channel 33) and I also realise that I misread the signal detection data - our signal strength is ~50% (quality 100%) for this Mux. The NIMux on 618MHz (channel 39) is received at 30% strength and 100% quality - watch-able with no problems but never tried recording it.

Is 50% signal strength considered too low for a scheduled recording?

I thought the decryption process happened when the recording had finished, or is it a background process during recording with the flag being removed afterwards?
With normal auto-decrypt processing it takes place after the recording is finished but with detectads chaserun processing it occurs in parallel with recording.

OK, some new information!

I am watching BBC1 NI HD and set a series-linked AR recording on C4+1 HD (maybe 10 minutes before it's scheduled start time). Only one recording was scheduled for this stage of the evening and the last previous one had already finished.

At the expected start time there was no on-screen indicator that the recording had started so I went to check what was happening. The box's TV Guide and Schedule both show the programme recording. Webif's Scheduled Events shows the recording in progress but the home screen's status only shows that I'm watching BBC1 NI HD. When I go to Media a new folder with an appropriate name has been created but it's empty.

Curiosity has eventually overcome my interest in the BBC programme, so I change channel to C4+1 HD to be met with "The receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak". I go to the Hidden Settings menu to find that both Signal Strength and Quality are 0% when I select 570MHz (Ch33) (which is the appropriate C4+1 HD Mux), on both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. Every other lower channel/frequency appears to register an appropriate/expected measurement but I get 0% for 578MHz (Ch33) and 618MHz (Ch39) on both tuners. These last three are all DVB-T2 (HD).

Any new ideas?

Webif reports a 0 byte file in use in the relevant folder, My Media on the box suggests the folder has 1 File(s) but it doesn't (yet), the TV screen is now completely blank. The programme has 5 minutes approx to run. Webif's status states that I'm watching and (separately) recording C4+1 HD.

After the scheduled recording had ended I had to change channel to another Mux and back again to get the next C4+1 HD programme to display - changing to another channel in the same Mux had no effect. My Media now has a failed recording file in the appropriate folder.

Last edited:
Back