Failed Recording of New BBC Four HD Channel

I don't see why recording the new HD channels is seen as so dangerous. When the fault occurs it is easy to fix by decrypting the recording and deleting the sidecar files.
It's not a case of danger, just inconvenience. I know people who never bother with HiDef because they can't see a difference - with their eyesight or the size of the TV and the distance they view it from. I only bother with HiDef when it's something I intend to watch properly - ie while not multitasking and probably on my big screen.

I would consider this "issue" with HiDef BBC3/4 not worth the bother in the vast majority of cases, even though I can fire up FTP etc - and this discussion is in the HDR-FOX section of the forum so the presumption is that users DO NOT have the CF installed when answering.

That's all well and good for you and me, but what about the thousands of non-technical users that don't have CF installed? They have a right for their expensive PVR to successfully record programmes without having to install this, that and the other.

AFAIK, know one has 'admitted' guilt and no mention from Humax Towers about a fix.

Agreed.....It's been a couple of weeks now since these new HD channels came on line and all we've had is guesswork from users who are more knowlegable than me as to what's wrong ! No comment from anywhere as to who is responsible and when we can expect a remedy. Personally, I don't wish to install CF.....if Humax listened to their customers, there wouldn't be any need!

Gerry

There is no need for custom firmware to fix a broken BBC3 or BBC4 HD recording, Foxy and FTP are sufficient.

And once again, people on hummy.tv are getting quite prickly. What is it with this forum?

If you are referring to my comment, it certainly wasn't meant to be 'prickly', as you put it. It was just a post on the situation as I see at the moment. If I am honest, it is a bit of a none-issue for me as I very rarely record off those channels (or the SD variants) anyway. But I just like things to work as they should regardless of price paid etc.

Please accept my apologies if you felt I was 'having a dig'.

There is no need for custom firmware to fix a broken BBC3 or BBC4 HD recording, Foxy and FTP are sufficient.

Does that really work? I was thinking that if you foxyed the HMT file and deleted the NTS file that it would be no different to not foxying the HMT file and just deleting the NTS file.

Foxying the HMT file and then delete the HMt file and the NTS file would still leave the *.ts file encrypted, or is there something else that you would do with it?

Edit: Expand wording

And once again, people on hummy.tv are getting quite prickly. What is it with this forum?

I had noticed the HD-T forumn people in the past were more prickly than the HDR people... must be the reduction in the price of the box these days :)

Some of it is semantics. You know when your in the office environment and you find IT guys that don't help then others that are more than helpful, you get the same. The older we get the more help we need...

Does that really work? I was thinking that if you foxyed the HMT file and deleted the NTS file that it would be no different to not foxying the HMT file and just deleting the NTS file.

Foxying the HMT file and then delete the HMt file and the NTS file would still leave the *.ts file encrypted, or is there something else that you would do with it?

I'd decrypt the file as well. But yes you are correct simply deleting the nts file may do the job just as well.

You'd have to copy the recording to a USB drive (and back if you wish) following the foxying, then delete the sidecar files. Fiddly but a non-custom solution.

You'd have to copy the recording to a USB drive (and back if you wish) following the foxying, then delete the sidecar files. Fiddly but a non-custom solution.
Yes that it was I thought, but Owen appeared to have a different method using FTP.

I'd decrypt the file as well. But yes you are correct simply deleting the nts file may do the job just as well.
Unfortunately not. BH got me to try that and it doesn’t work as it still comes up with the <30 error message.

You need FTP to use Foxy on the HMT file and then to delete the sidecar files from the USB stick after decryption. That was what I was referring to FTP for.

You can't easily put the USB stick in a PC to do the deletions since it needs to be an Ext2 or Ext3 unix format stick.

We know.

The problem was your misleading use of the word "dangerous". Nobody claimed it is dangerous to record BBC3/4HD, and it is not dangerous - but if the recording fails as it seems to the consequences are inconvenient (how inconvenient depends on the user). We like accurate use of language for best communication.

Someone else said they wouldn't take the risk of recording the new HD channels. That sounds like they consider it dangerous to me, that's why I used the word. Or are risk and danger not associated as words any more?

You need FTP to use Foxy on the HMT file and then to delete the sidecar files from the USB stick after decryption. That was what I was referring to FTP for.
Now I am getting very confused. As foxy does not decrypt but only enable decryption how do the decryption itself?

The copy to USB drive does the decryption.
Yes it does do that, but Owen has not included copying to USB in his description. Owen has only included copying to FTP. That is why I am confused about what Owen is describing.

Owen presumably has the Custom Firmware, this is capable of decrypting the recording in situ, using the same trick as Foxy. The CF can mount a virtual usb drive internally. copying a recording to this after the .hmt is patched results in the recording being decrypted without ever leaving the box (the box doesn't know it's not an external drive attached and of course it's faster)..

I do not decrypt with custom firmware. This is hummy.tv, on here I assume people know what they are doing. The USB is for copying onto to decrypt, FTP is for Foxy to modify the hmt file before decryption and for deleting the sidecar files afterwards. I have not given step by step instructions, maybe this was a mistake.

I don't see why recording the new HD channels is seen as so dangerous. When the fault occurs it is easy to fix by decrypting the recording and deleting the sidecar files.

(My bold)
It 's not danger my friend - it's just hassle. I have the CFW but I use it mainly to improve the automatic functioning of the box rather than as a way to spend hours messing around inside it. I don't know how easy it is to do the above because I've never needed to decrypt or otherwise tamper with a program, and also don't know how to delete the sidecar files. So I'll continue to believe that it is much easier to forgo the HD and watch the programs when I want to. Hopefully the bugs will get fixed eventually.

Back