Failed Recordings

4ndy

Is anyone able to offer advice on my growing list of failed recordings on my main box?

I have been letting them accumulate in the hope that I can see a pattern. Some of the channels are notoriously bad at series link, but I have cancelled and rescheduled these. I also know that snooker has been on. I have reset the box and run fixdisk.

My other three boxes are not getting failed recordings. This one of my two boxes with RTS and it is the only box I on which I installed the Beta Webif (though it may have auto-updated onto the other boxes by now - not at home to check). This box is left on all the time.

Any advice on what to test next or logs to check would be very much appreciated.upload_2016-12-9_13-36-16.png

Is this with AR?

A couple of years ago I was pulling my hair out (what little there is) over one of my machines failing to record, and a spontaneous factory reset occurred after which it was much better. Prior to that I was doubting the effectiveness of AR at all. Just recently, that particular machine has started playing up again...

Only ever used AR. Never had a problem with BBC. They, at least are usually reliable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are you absolutely sure you are only tuned to ONE transmitter?

Yes. Always been an issue in Norfolk, so always manually tune.

As I stated originally, I have left this box on. Up to about 3 weeks ago I used to let it power save.

Now it will not fully shut down. I have just tried factory reset to no avail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to do a manual retune after the factory reset.

I deleted all the reported failed recordings and it eventually went into proper standby after about 20 minutes. Perhaps it was doing some housekeeping?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mine failed to record Strictly again last night, but another HDR (immediately adjacent, further down the aerial daisy-chain) did. The same HDR managed to record Weatherview though.

A significant difference between your situation and mine is that yours are failed recordings, mine don't even start to record.

I've run a factory reset this morning, not having done a retune in ages (maybe not a good idea, now we have tools to patch things up afterwards). Loads of new crap to tell tunefix to kill!

After nearly a week of running with no issues, following a factory reset and manual retune, I have now had all these failures over the course of a few days.

Any further suggestions as to how I root the problem out?

upload_2016-12-19_6-37-33.png

What are you actually getting when you try to play these recordings, or is there nothing to play? I think RS reports a failed recording if it sees an error report in a .htm file, but as you probably know if you go to Media and see the lightning strike thumbnail the recording will often play anyway.

I don't think RS reports a "failed to record" if the recording never started at all (as in my typical cases).

They are all unplayable 0min entries in the media list.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I had two more failed recordings last night, I am starting to pull my hair out!

Since the last time, I had disabled auto-decrypt unless the load caused by that was the problem. I have since been through the data in TVDiary, to check that there were no undetected scheduling clashes.

upload_2016-12-24_11-27-54.png

Any ideas?

Back