Failure of Decryption using Foxy

DaveMech

Our failing HDR Fox t2 was exchanged under warranty for a new one on 8 November. Unaware of the files being encrypted, I backed up all our recordings to a USB hard drive (FAT32 partition), using Opt+, move/copy: of course I found I couldn’t play back the HD ones when restored to the new machine. Having found Foxy on this forum, I applied it to the .hmt files, copied the recordings back into the T2 and out again to the external drive. The ‘Enc’ icons had disappeared, but the HD recordings would still not play, either from the External HDD or from a recording re-copied to the T2. When examined by TS-Doctor (file-repair utility program from www.cypheros.de), it reported that the PMT was invalid or missing and a new one could not be created.

Now have I made some omission, or have Humax removed decryption on export, as Raydon thought might happen? Is there anything to be done?

Our failing HDR Fox t2 was exchanged under warranty for a new one on 8 November. Unaware of the files being encrypted, I backed up all our recordings to a USB hard drive (FAT32 partition), using Opt+, move/copy: of course I found I couldn’t play back the HD ones when restored to the new machine. Having found Foxy on this forum, I applied it to the .hmt files, copied the recordings back into the T2
Can you clarify, was the T2 at this point the original or the new one? AFAIK you can only remove the encryption on the box that the recording was made on.

AFAIK you can only remove the encryption on the box that the recording was made on.

Unfortunately, that's the case.

(Actually, using Foxy then copy on the new box will render the files unplayable on both the new and old boxes.)

Our failing HDR Fox t2 was exchanged under warranty for a new one on 8 November. Unaware of the files being encrypted, I backed up all our recordings to a USB hard drive (FAT32 partition), using Opt+, move/copy: of course I found I couldn’t play back the HD ones when restored to the new machine. Having found Foxy on this forum, I applied it to the .hmt files, copied the recordings back into the T2 and out again to the external drive. The ‘Enc’ icons had disappeared, but the HD recordings would still not play, either from the External HDD or from a recording re-copied to the T2. When examined by TS-Doctor (file-repair utility program from www.cypheros.de), it reported that the PMT was invalid or missing and a new one could not be created.

Now have I made some omission, or have Humax removed decryption on export, as Raydon thought might happen? Is there anything to be done?
The omission is that you needed to apply the Foxy process BEFORE copying off the original recordings. Nothing you can do now.

Thank you: I think I understand now. The files needed to be copied out, Foxy'd and copied in and out of the old T2 to be decrypted. Naturally, a different machine can't do it. I needed to know then what I only knew after the old machine was back with Humax!

Back