Failure to register GPT partitions -NTFS- correctly

jack616

Is anyone else having trouble getting GPT partitions using NTFS to register correctly
or seeing "ghost" partition names after drives are disconnected (even after warm reset)

I've tried various formatting and drive mixtures and re-installing the humax with what seems to be the latest files
with no luck The drives are recognised as read only and their label is created but unused - instead I get
"gpt-drive1" or "gpt-usb-drive2" etc. with "mydata" as an empty element (should be that gpt-drive1 and so on)
and they take much longer to access then.

Drives are checked and are ok - 9 times out of 10 this happens then once in a blue moon
the same drive will register.

It doesnt seem to matter if the humax is cold booted - warm booted - recording or not recording.
I've also swapped all cables and e2fsck-ed the humax by the way.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some sort of timing problem as I get this on both
boxes with or without usb hubs but often better with just a single drive and no hub (I have 3 types
of hubs - all respond the same) The humax drives have plenty of free space.

This also happens with nonGPT partitions but nowhere near as bad

Does anyone else see this or anything I might have missed checking?

jack

I take it you are talking about a USB drive, and relying on the CF to provide GPT compatibility.

I think you might be the only person who's tried to do this, so that makes you an edge case. Anything could happen.

This also happens with nonGPT partitions
Not sure what you mean. The drive uses either the MBR or the GPT scheme to define how it is partitioned.

Is anyone else having trouble getting GPT partitions using NTFS to register correctly
or seeing "ghost" partition names after drives are disconnected (even after warm reset)
It doesnt seem to matter if the humax is cold booted - warm booted - recording or not recording.
I've also swapped all cables and e2fsck-ed the humax by the way.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some sort of timing problem as I get this on both
boxes with or without usb hubs but often better with just a single drive and no hub (I have 3 types
of hubs - all respond the same) The humax drives have plenty of free space.

This also happens with nonGPT partitions but nowhere near as bad....
I don't know the answer, but I can't quite follow the issue.
Is it that with NTFS partitions on GPT drive(s) aren't mounted properly despite cold or warm reboots?
Does this also happens with, say EXT3 partition on GPT drive but not as frequent?
Do you use the eject or unmount the partitions before disconnecting drives? Or are they always connected to the humaxes?
Where do you see the "ghost" partition names?
Have you tried unmounting the partitions, then mounting them manually after a reboot so that you can control the timing? (As a test to see what happens.)
Are there any useful info in the logs?
I can't help you directly, but the extra info might help.

Back