Fan never spins up, regardless of temperature

prpr said:
Why don't you just look at the Smart data (on the Diag. page) and see what it says the max. temp. of the disk has been and what it is now?

What tipped me off to the overheating issue is that at its worst last summer, I put my hand on the case above the HDD and it was so hot I couldn't keep my hand there.

As for the fan itself... I've had the sysmon package installed for some time and while monitoring during a HD recording and playback the temperature rose into a 'fan on' region (dark blue) and did no observe any spin up of the fan.

The hard drive is no longer in the HDR as I've replaced it, but out of interest I plugged the HDD into my PC and used SpeedFan to look at the SMART info. The peak temperature was not that high at 64 degrees... however, there was an "airflow temperature" warning in addition to a dire warning of imminent HDD failure. I don't think these values are directly in Celsius, but the current value was 72, the warning value 45 and the worst value 38.

The airflow values in line 190 are not valid on the Humax, the 'Value' figure is always 100 - (the 194 'Value'). However if the Maximum value in line 194 is 64 Deg. C in your case it is higher than usual, in the example below the 194 Maximum (after 2 years ) is 56 DEG. C

Code:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME ........ FLAG  VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE  . UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022  055  044  045    Old_age  Always  In_the_past 45 (0 109 45 32)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022  045  056  000    Old_age  Always      -      45 (0 13 0 0)

Back