Fan Noise

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I haven't been using my sitting room, usually camping out in the study where my computers are, but there are two HDR-FOXes in there and on the occasions I've been in, I've heard a fan running. Today I decided to do something about it.

Fix Flash Packages? Nope, I've got the patch installed.

Switch them to standby... still present. Delinquent?

Turn off the power to find out which one... still present!

WTF?!!

Can't hear where it's coming from, but the only possibility left is the JVC 40" TV (which is in standby). Pulled the plug on that, and (after a few seconds and some dying gasps) the fan noise stopped. Reconnected at the wall and the noise did not return, but I haven't switched on yet.

Last edited:
For "patch" read "dot flag file"... close enough for government work (this is the 'Arms!).

Back in the 70-80s when I was designing security alarm kit we'd often get support calls asking why one of our control panels was making a loud chirp every 30 seconds or so.

I'll leave it to the reader to figure out what the true culprit was in every case.

What is this "dot flag file" of which you write?
Yeah, OK, so it's not actually a dot (hidden) file either.

Two crashes in quick succession will trigger a fail-safe mode where CF packages with elements resident in Flash memory (as opposed to on disk) are disabled. The purpose is to prevent crashes caused by bugs in CF from creating continuous crash cycle. A warning appears in the WebIF when this has happened, and restoring functionality requires running a diagnostic: WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Run Diagnostic >> fix-flash-packages (choose from the drop-down list). The packages on general release are well-proven however, and the fail-safe is more of an inconvenience than a benefit. The disabling can be switched off using diagnostic plugin_autodisable/off, or on the command line (Telnet or webshell): touch /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/no_plugin_autodisable. Note the warning will still be issued, but with autodisable turned off there is no need to run (but no harm in running) fix-flash-packages.

Back