Fan Noise

[sigh]

This is why engineers (ie people who design civil/mechanical/electronic/etc things) have the same status as doctors and lawyers in Germany (and other places where there is no confusion) and not here (where any Tom Dick or Harry can add "engineer" to pimp up their job title even if they are only technician grade).

No, "engine driver" does not equal "engineer", no matter what the song says.

[/rant]

Last edited:
Would that be Casey jones of who was the driver of the cannonball express?? I can just about remember the show with that theme tune :)

...when you hear the tootin' of the whistle
it's Casey at the throttle of the Cannonball Express.

That's the one.

Thanks fellas, I think I get it now, source a fan from some Hornby OO gauge, install and it's sorted eh?

Reckon I must have a dodgy unit too. Has the same symptoms i.e. very noisy something (fan, I assume) after a couple of hours. Loathe to take it back though as I'd lose all my recordings (assuming they replace rather than attempt a repair).

RobH1, will you post back here if you get success with replacing the fan?

If you are describing the fan as Very Noisy my guess is that something is touching the blades when they rotate, if you move the blades by hand (with the unit turned off) can you feel any resistance?. You could try a vacuum cleaner to dislodge whatever it is. To change the fan you would obviously have to open the case, so I would take a look inside and look for foreign matter touching the blades

A drop of oil in the right place sometimes works wonders :)
It's probably a sleeve bearing fan. If you peel back the label from the middle and apply a very small amount of bike chain oil or similar it can often help. Don't be tempted to use something like WD40 as it will wax after a short while.
New fans are only a few quid from electronics retailers like farnell if you can find the right one from the massive range they stock!

Thanks all. I have a dilemna then. Take the box back as its under warranty, but lose my recordings, or open up the box and invalidate the warranty should it not be as simple as a drop of oil or loose something.

Alternatively, live with the noise. It is loud though.

Thanks all. I have a dilemna then. Take the box back as its under warranty, but lose my recordings, or open up the box and invalidate the warranty should it not be as simple as a drop of oil or loose something.
Alternatively, live with the noise. It is loud though.

Not sure ifyou will like this solution but, It has been reported that Vertical Units lose more heat e.g. the fan never comes on ! ! !
vertical-humax.jpg

You could install custom, rescue recordings, revert to standard, then take it back and copy your recordings back to the new one. It's not essential to install custom, there are ways without, but it is easier.

Reckon I must have a dodgy unit too. Has the same symptoms i.e. very noisy something (fan, I assume) after a couple of hours. Loathe to take it back though as I'd lose all my recordings (assuming they replace rather than attempt a repair).

RobH1, will you post back here if you get success with replacing the fan?

Yes I will. The warranty expires at the end of August but I will be going inside before then being confident that as the unit has given little trouble since purchase, it's unlikely to have a serious problem in these last few months. ( touch wood, fingers crossed etc.)

I can't do it this week as I've set up a pile of recordings for the next three weeks (going to renew aquaintance with my Avatar subject!)

Re the fan noise, there has been no change for me. Reading the current posts, it doesn't sound as if the blades are catching but could be lack of lubrication which I'll tackle first. (BH-I was a mechanic but not an engineer!)

Re your unit, if it's fairly new I would return it for replacement. As intimated in earlier posts, I believed this was normal and if yours is noisy I can confirm it doesn't improve with age.
Regards
Rob

Back