FAQ: Glossary of Terms

Mods: I've run out of character limit in the first 4 posts. I really ought to transfer to the Wiki version, but in the mean time if you would delete Post #5 (unnecessary now) I can expand into the next couple of posts after that.

(For anyone interested, I've added the section on "booting")

Hello BH - I went looking for the reference to Mr Spigots tarzan audition and thought I'd have a wander down the glossary over a cuppa and spotted something to add to the netiquette acronym section - seeing as most of our trepidation over testing and playing stems from a fear of upsetting them, and for the times we see them mentioned should we list SWMBO ?? Or does that need "de-genderising" to ThoseWMBO?

Wouldn't the Wargames/NORAD system of DefCon status be a consideration? - as in StdDefCon and HiDefCon!!! :D

I am toying with the idea of adding a reference to Bikini State apropo redring...
It's ok, most sites are still at Black Special although that will doubtless change in the run-up to the Lisa Simpson B... Olympics!

Wouldn't the Wargames/NORAD system of DefCon status be a consideration? - as in StdDefCon and HiDefCon!!! :D

LOLROFLMAO

Great innit, though I've yet to see any military personnel wearing black bikinis (or any other colour bikini come to that), despite the dress code being displayed at the entrance. Perhaps I don't look at the right web sites. Our Hummies can be at Bikini State Amber Dim, then transition to Bikini State Blue Dim.... and then HiDefCon (war imminent)!

I must say I was rather disappointed to read on Wikipaedia that "bikini" was a word chosen at random. Of all the random words that could have been chosen...

For a newbie, trying to get grey cells around such references to Webif, Telnet, portal (in other words your web page?) when trying to get some sort of answers, this guide very welcome. Well done. But I'm still completely baffled by rs/epgpush !! Sounds like hard work.

This glossary isn't meant for matters custom firmware, the word salad would be extensive indeed.

It's ok, most sites are still at Black Special although that will doubtless change in the run-up to the Lisa Simpson B... Olympics!
Apparently the UK is now on "severe" alert re terrorist threats - I make that polka-dot bikini.

In the HDR-FOX T2 definition the last sentance ends with "the HD-FOX is also capable of recording, just not without providing an external HDD." It is not clear (to me) what is meant here due to the double negatives 'not' & 'without'.

Very simple: give it a USB hard drive and it can be used to record TV. Note that this is talking about the HD-FOX as a contrast with the HDR-FOX.

I'm using a deliberately chatty style in this case, but I will consider replacing "just not without" with "but only by".

Can people really not parse (ie make sense of) a double negative construction such as that without getting confused? You'll hear it all the time in spoken language, can't be all that hard.

I suspect the confusion, in this case, is simply that the reader didn't spot that it is talking about the HD-FOX, in which case it would make no sense at all. If you are only aware of the HDR-FOX you can easily glance over the "missing" R or assume it is a typo.

Can people really not parse (ie make sense of) a double negative construction such as that without getting confused?
Yes of course we can, but is it not better and slightly less open for miss interpretation if the use of double negatives is avoided?

I have had a re-read and a think, and when the complete sentence is quoted I do not agree that the previously proposed alteration would be an improvement. I will change the second comma to a dash.

The "R" in "HDR-FOX" is presumably supposed to stand for "recorder", but the HD-FOX is also capable of recording, just not without providing an external HDD.

Back