FAQs

MikeSh

Why is it that whenever I visit a webspace and there is something I don't understand (or think I do but know I might be wrong) the FAQs almost never have the answer?
It's really annoying.
I'm sure there is a logic involved, but I can't quite pin it down :confused:

It's because "FAQs" are almost never what people ask and usually what the website author wants to tell you. RFC is another misnomer.

You’re correct. I was part of a project to write learning materials to be delivered on the web. The specifications demanded we write a FAQ section. Difficult because no one could tell me questions lecturers were frequently asked about the courses. So we made them up. By the time there were some real frequently asked questions the money had run out for project maintenance (including my salary).

To my mind if the user interface or basic instructions are well written there will be no frequently asked questions or if there are they should can be simply answered with RTFM. :D

To my mind if the user interface or basic instructions are well written there will be no frequently asked questions or if there are they should can be simply answered with RTFM. :D
I was thinking more of websites. Recently I've been doing some travel research and find that sometimes a term of phrase is used that is not clear (to a new visitor at least) but no explanation of it can be found.

There's a related one where in the product description something will have a suffixed * or note number - but searching the page reveals no key to that. (I even use the browser "Search in page" function and it only finds the one instance, so it's not that I missed it.)

I was thinking more of websites. Recently I've been doing some travel research and find that sometimes a term of phrase is used that is not clear (to a new visitor at least) but no explanation of it can be found.
Government websites are a good source of this problem. Got a text message from GP this morning pointing to a government website regarding upcoming data sharing change. Couldn’t make sense of what was written and how to opt out. FAQs :rolling:

Back