FAT32 Long File Name Support

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
There is a discussion on "the other place" at the moment regarding long file names. Somebody wanted to play some MP3 files from a FAT32 stick and could only browse the 8-character DOS names.

Do we know this is the case?

If this is the case, what does the Humax do at boot when it scans the USB for a firmware update? If long file names are not supported, the "required" file name is irrelevant as it is only looking for the 8-character mapping.

What prospect would there be for adding long file name support through the MSP?

I've always seen the full long filenames when using a FAT formatted USB disk. I'm usually testing things like package installation so they are definitely long.

Also the boot loader definitely checks for the full update filename.

I also had this problem all my files were truncated, I tried to play one and it didn't play. I then noticed that some of the files were wma reloaded them all as proper mp3 and lo and behold proper length names. I now have 16gb worth of music files on my hummy even my wife thinks it's great.

All the file names were truncated when only come of them were .wma? And why would a .wma cause even its own file name to truncate?? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I feel a test coming on.

I know makes no sense at all but hummy will not play wma's. Also I was transferring via network not via usb, thought it strange at the time but when it all came good thought no more of it until now .....

The kernel supports both 'msdos' and 'vfat' file systems. The 'msdos' file system only supports 8.3 filenames and 'vfat' has the long filename support used on FAT32. It would be interesting to see which filesystem has been used when this problem occurs - just type mount at the telnet prompt. I can't see how wma files would affect it though. See the last line in this listing...
Code:
mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock1 on /var/lib/humaxtv type jffs2 (rw)
/dev/mtdblock2 on /var/lib/humaxtv_backup type jffs2 (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/hd1 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/sda2 on /mnt/hd2 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/sda3 on /mnt/hd3 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/sda2 on /media/virtual type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/drive1 type vfat (rw,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)

Back