Faulty HDD or dodgy jim?

Terry Whiffen

!! WARNING !!

There appear to be some hardware problems with the internal hard disk on this device.

Disk realloc sector count is: 519 (was 286)

followed by a message about Runtime Error on disk.jim

which the forum software will not let me paste as it thinks I am including a link or email address, which I am not.

thanks - Terry

Faulty HDD. That is a big jump in reallocated sectors. I would copy off any programmes you want to keep and order a new drive: the old one is not long for this world:(

I loaded the CF a few months ago, then removed it when experiencing problems recording, and generally poor responsiveness to the remote - like something was eating up the CPU cycles, although the CF meter looked fairly normal.

So a week ago I tried the latest CF, to see if anything had been fixed. This is when I had sight of the HDD diags, which said something about trying to write to a read-only JIM file. At the same time, new recordings went funny when played back - stuttering every few seconds and jumping.

Also, the CPU and HDD monitor graphs did not work.

I copied off some new recordings to USB disk, 54mb in 9 hours - is this slow? Afterwards, Disk realloc sector count was in the 800s.

So this morning I removed the CF. Tried recording two HD programs at the same time which is probably as much as a stress test as possible - worked fine.

Seems a shame but CF looks suspect to me...

I copied off some new recordings to USB disk, 54mb in 9 hours - is this slow? Afterwards, Disk realloc sector count was in the 800s.
I wouldn't normally correct other users obvious typos, but someone will, so I will try to do it politely, I think you mean 54GB. 6GB an hour sounds about right, remember it is also decrypting as well as copying, As far as Disk realloc sector count goes, other users have suggested looking to replace the HDD when the count reaches 2000

As far as Disk realloc sector count goes, other users have suggested looking to replace the HDD when the count reaches 2000
Who suggested that? My suggestion (currently based on very limited data) is to start to think seriously about replacement when the reallocated sectors count reaches a 1000. We continued to use the disk beyond that point but when the count approached 1500 the daily rate of reallocation began to soar and the user experience deteriorated and it was very obviously time to install the shiny new drive.

I may be mid-quoting you Martin, but it's hardly a hard and fast rule anyway is it. Let's say consider replacing the drive when it starts showing problems

Let's say consider replacing the drive when it starts showing problems
I agree but some people seem to think that the first reallocated sector is a problem that requires the disk to be replaced. I am only trying to develop some guidance as to what constitutes a problem.

The HDD that I replaced last year had more than 4200 reallocated sectors, yet still seemed to be working perfectly well.

Back