File Confusion!

DrMopp

Having installed the custom firmware and got the Humax visible on my network, I have copied all the video content down onto a PC. Now totally confused as to what the various file types are and what I need to do to be able to play them! i.e. For each episode of a series there is a folder containing several 28KB .tac files. Outside of that folder for each episode there are separate .hmt, .nts and .ts (the media content, judging from the file sizes) files. Though Windows Media Player 12 adds the .ts files to my Media library, it only plays sound, no video. Any advice appreciated.

Having installed the custom firmware and got the Humax visible on my network, I have copied all the video content down onto a PC. Now totally confused as to what the various file types are and what I need to do to be able to play them! i.e. For each episode of a series there is a folder containing several 28KB .tac files. Outside of that folder for each episode there are separate .hmt, .nts and .ts (the media content, judging from the file sizes) files. Though Windows Media Player 12 adds the .ts files to my Media library, it only plays sound, no video. Any advice appreciated.

.tac thumbnail graphics files, .nts navigation data for the Box enabling various features (resume, skipping etc) and .hmt (programme details like recording dates and times and programme synopses). Only the .ts (transport stream) means anything to external kit. Lack of audio sounds like ( :)) a missing audio codec. Try another media player like VLC or Splash Lite.

Thanks for quick reply, it's not lack of audio though, that works, its lack of video, but I imagine the solution is the same, i.e. try VLC etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for quick reply, it's not lack of audio though, that works, its lack of video, but I imagine the solution is the same, i.e. try VLC etc.

Should have read more carefully :X3:

Are the files HD (recorded with the Custom firmware and Nowsters Patch) or SD ? SD will be mpeg2 and HD is H264/AVC video. But yes try another player. Once the required video codec(s) are installed you will likely find that Windows Media player then works.

Like wot he said. HD files will only play on the Foxsat they were recorded on unless they have been decrypted at the time of recording by the wonderful nowster's patch. But I don't think that idea is consistent with 'sound OK but no video'

Back