File share from USB

James Holt

Hi. I have just purchased a new HDR-Fox T2, so I'm still familiarising myself with the contents of this forum, particularly the custom firmware section!
The question that I have is to do with the use of an external USB drive for playing media etc. Currently, the said USB drive is directly connected to my Cisco Linksys E4200 router. This means that all of the media/files are accessible by any pc in the house via an IP address.
If I plug this USB drive directly into the HDR-Fox T2, then I believe I will lose this file sharing capability.
Firstly, can the HDR-Fox T2 be set up to browse files from a network location rather than the USB drive for viewing photos and playing music / films? If so, then could someone give me a few pointers?
If not, then if I connect the USB drive to the HDR-Fox T2, could it then be set up to enable file sharing of the USB drive besides the current UPnP capability?
Many thanks in anticipation.
James

I think you can, but not with the standard firmware. You would need to load the custom software, and then use Mediatomb (not the standard DLNA service) to mount it, or you could set up a network file share with Samba or CIFS.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have actually managed to semi achieve my goal this evening. I kept the usb hard drive connected to my router to maintain the file share, but enabled the UPnP function on the router. The Humax could then see the media server that had been set up.
The only down side to accessing the media content through UPnP is that anything that is a video (e.g even those stored in the photos folder) is displayed in the list. This could become annoying. Does anyone with more experience of media servers have any suggestions for filtering the content a little more?

I think you'll just have to reorganize your media into three sections.
Photos, video and music.

From there you'll automatically limit the server to the appropriate media as they are not cross contaminated.

Be aware that the 4GB bug will make playback (on the Humax) of any streamed content terminate when the 4GB point in the file is reached.

Back