filezilla won't connect to HDR

merlin777

I'm successfully using the media bundle for the hdr and I can successfully browse using file explorer (I've mapped it as a network drive). I can copy files from the hdr to my pc using file explorer and I can erase .ts files on the box but I can't erase the other types of files. Someone suggested using filezilla to erase these extra files but I can't get it to connect to the box. I'm getting 'a can't connect to server error'
In filezilla I'm using: 192.168.0.2 which is what i use to connect to the web interface and with file explorer username and password that i've set for web interface access user control
I'm using wifi and a netgear router.

Any idea what I doing wrong?

I'm successfully using the media bundle for the hdr and I can successfully browse using file explorer (I've mapped it as a network drive). I can copy files from the hdr to my pc using file explorer and I can erase .ts files on the box but I can't erase the other types of files. Someone suggested using filezilla to erase these extra files but I can't get it to connect to the box. I'm getting 'a can't connect to server error'
In filezilla I'm using: 192.168.0.2 which is what i use to connect to the web interface and with file explorer username and password that i've set for web interface access user control

I use the default username HumaxFTP and password (0000, I think). Is there a particular reason you want extra security? The username you have set up may not have FTP access rights, that's all I can think of.

We are assuming of course that you have installed either of the two ftp servers, tinyftp or vsftpd, from package management ?

I need the security because I'm trying to access the box through the internet. I'm failing at the moment because i can't get the dynamic dns working.
Aha! I heven't installed either of the ftp servers. I thought samba covered that. I shall get to work immediately.
Thanks!

well, i did get it working about 8 months ago and did what i needed to do. i just tried it again and its not working again. i got this log:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Welcome to Foxsat HDR FTP Server.
Command: USER john
Response: 332 Need account for login.
Command: PASS ***********
Response: 503 Bad sequence of commands.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server
Response: 421 Timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection.
Error: Connection closed by server

i'm using '192.168.0.6', the username and password i use to login to the webif and port 21.

i haven't changed my system except my router however the 192.168.0.6 is correct.
i tried connecting filezilla to my nas and that worked fine.
i tried this on my windows 7 netbook and vista laptop too.

can anyone help please? i cant remember what i did to get it working last time!

User: HumaxFTP
Pass: 0000
It's all in the documentation if you took the time to read it. You asked the very same question when you started this thread and got the same answer. Are you really that stupid or is it easier for you to just ask someone else to do your thinking for you ?

no, I'm not really that stupid but thanks for asking. Not only did I go back through this thread I googled for others before posting. I tried humaxftp and 0000 as well as the ones i have set and it didn't work.

Have you changed the PIN on the box? If you do a factory reset the PIN will go back to 0000 (or at least it does on the HDR-FOX). I don't think changing usernames and passwords does anything as far as FTP is concerned.

PS: Somebody with a HDR-FOX had exactly the same sequence of responses, also by using the wrong login:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/ftp-login-for-fox-t2.3700/

The other trouble people get into with FTP is to make sure transfer mode is set to "Active" not "Passive" or "Default".

thanks, black hole. I dont remember changing the pin but then was 8 months and a brain operation ago so i'll try the reset

I tried all case combos - google searches turned up all lower, mixed and title cases.
However, the good news is that the reset did the job!

Thanks everyone!

The Foxsat HDR is not the same as an HDR Fox T2 so a factory reset will achieve nothing. And yes, case is important. 'humaxftp' is not the same as 'HumaxFTP'

Mine works with super-user "root".

Then you must be using the vsFTPd server which allows both root and HumaxFTP users.
TinyFTP only allows HumaxFTP which is why I quoted that one as a safe default, not knowing which FTP server was installed.
At the risk of repeating myself I will say once again It's all in the documentation ! You don't need to search for it on Google.
Both that which is provided with the firmware bundle, and also on the HDR itself via the web interface docs.
I can't make it any easier, short of tattooing it onto someones forehead in reverse script (in the correct case of course), and pointing them at a mirror.

At the risk of repeating myself I will say once again It's all in the documentation ! You don't need to search for it on Google.
Both that which is provided with the firmware bundle, and also on the HDR itself via the web interface docs.
I can't make it any easier, short of tattooing it onto someones forehead in reverse script (in the correct case of course), and pointing them at a mirror.

ROFL But you make it so easy, nobody expects it to be so easy.

(a) After installing the CFW I delete the original update files, without even reading any README files or whatever.
(b) Who expected links to help pages from the CFW pages? Not me! I expected to have to search the internet. My learned tunnel vision only sees those big icons, nothing else. You made it so easy, you made it too difficult for us! :D

Back